Front Universal Joint

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by destryrideagain, Nov 17, 2011.

1. destryrideagain

destryrideagain Member

Howdy Guys, I took apart my driveshafts to figure out whats causing a big vibration on acceleration. I assumed the carrier or center bearing would be the first place to look, which was also leaking trans fluid out of the bracket. After I pulled the front U joint from behind the transmission and inspected it I noticed that one of the rings was missing that I assume hold the trunnion bushings? down. From what I know they do not make these front u joints for 3/4 ton trucks anymore so they are only available NOS. I have attached a photo of what is missing. I have not pulled the carrier bearing apart to inspect it, but should I guess that the front U joint was probably causing a majority of the big vibration? Look forward to your comments Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Good assumption !

Yes i am shore this causes the vibration. But i would check out the bearing as well as it probebly has been affected of the problem. I would make an inspection of the U-joint condision to. One thing likely makes another problem.

Good luck Martinius.

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

U-Joint Fun

These are still out there if you beat the bushes a bit .

Grasp the rear yoke in your hand and see if it moves up / down or sideways , if so , the Oakie Bushing is shot , this too is available affordably , requires a special tool , some hardwood and a BFH to change .

Many old Chevy Partshaus' rent or sell this tool , it's a nervous thiong the first time but just take your time and it'll go well , the Oakie Bushing is what prevents the oil from leaking past .

IIRC there's two possible spline counts on the tranny's output shaft so count 'em & jot that down , be sure you order the correct one , back in the day the catalogs had the spline counts .

Fel-Pro or Victor gaskets still make the ball gasket & shim kit , get two as you'll prolly need a couple extra flange gaskets to shim it correctly .

I hope this helps .

4. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Question to Nate about the Fel-Pro ball gasket & shim kit !

Do you know by any chance where in the US they sell the " Fel-Pro gaskets ?
    1950 1/2 ton truck with torque tube .

Greetings Martinius.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  5. destryrideagain

destryrideagain Member

6. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Felpro Gasket Universal Joint

Yep, they have them at Classic Parts to.

I whas thinking that you might check out the condition of your Drive Shaft Bushing & Seal aswell when checking up on the other parts.

Good luck and thanks again Martinius.

7. destryrideagain

destryrideagain Member

The yoke for the front U joint does move side to side and up and down if thats the yoke you are talking about. The splined shaft also moves up and down and side to side easily inside the bushing but the carrier bearing end is quite solid, not any movement. I believe these 3/4 ton trucks and up do not use an oakie bushing. Since I have the whole driveshaft off I might as well get all new U joints and have it balanced. Thanks guys.