63 chevy c10 pickup

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by ragtopcity, May 20, 2012.

1. ragtopcity

ragtopcity Member

hey i bought this truck and have slowly and painfully found out more and more about this truck as i go along. so i know now for a fact it is a 230 ci with a 1 barrell carberator but ive been reading that carb rebuilds just seem to always go wrong with the 1 barrell. i just had one done. is it a waste of money or right path? the rims that are on it are 6 lug and my new rims are 5 lug. were they origionally 5 to begin with or 6 cause it seems like i see alot more 5 lug patterns in this particular year. is there anything else you can tell me about my truck that i may need to know. problems that are typical of this year?

2. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

6 lug wheels were standard on the C10's. The reason you see so many 5 lugs is because a lot of fellas swap in "newer" suspensions. Do some nosing around here and you'll find many articles on this. GM changed to 5 lug wheels in 1967 on 1/2 ton trucks.

Your 63 is the "wrap around windshield" design that was made from 60-63. But the frame on your 63 is the type that was used from 63-66.

63 is a neat year to own, you get the classic early windshield design, but the "newer" frame type.

Congrat's on your purchase and welcome to our site.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  3. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

The biggest problem with rebuilt carbs is the builder, ( Knowledge ) there are a couple things to consider, miliage on the carb will wear out the throttle shafts causing vacuum leaks which will cause stumbling, find another base or have the shaft turned and use nylon shaft seals, pump rod linkage ( worn rod ends ) also cause stumble. Be sure to use a gas filter at all times ( a good paper filter mounted before the pump) thus you`ll never have to rebuild again....

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Rochester Series 'B' Carbys

Actually , these are one of the simplest & best designed carbys you'll ever touch and therin lies the rub :

Folks always touch the carby first when it's the LAST thing one should ever touch when faced with running troubles .

Unless you've checked the engine serial # and it comes up as a 230 , it's more likely to be a 250 , slightly bigger but much better .

Set the timing to TDC and then open the spark plug gaps up to .040" ~ this will result in more power and a vastly improved idle .

Then and only then , can you try to adjust the carby ~ it's a slow process , the 1/8 turn of the mixture screw won't make an *instant* change , take your time and wait for it .

If you can get a vacuum gauge , I can teach you how to adjust the carby with it . most FLAPS sell " fuel pump testers " that are also vacuum gauges , very handy to tune and diagnose engine troubles .

5. dcsi5919

dcsi5919 Member

The 230 six cylinders were in the '63-'65 Chevy trucks and the 250 six cylinders were in the '66 Chevy trucks, so it is probably a 230.