Hood flew open

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by davidrw, Jul 16, 2013.

1. davidrw

davidrw Member

You know that situation when you think you've secured your hood correctly, then you realise you haven't when it flys open when you're driving :eek:. Well I suffered that at the weekend. :eek:

Now when I open the hood (the first 6 inches or so) it catches slightly at the back edge on the front edge of the cowling below the windscreen. When it is closed it looks fine.

Is there any adjustment on the hinges so I can reposition it so it doesn't catch, only need a mmm or so?

Any guidance would be appreciated, thank you

2. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Bummer dude. Mark the current location of the hood on the hinges, loosen the 4 hood bolts, slide the hood slightly forward, then re-tighten the bolts.

I've been thinking about installing hood pins on my truck.... you're helping me to justify them.

3. LostMy65

LostMy65 Member

Yea, the hood flying open is one of my worries also.

4. markeb01

markeb01 Member

Here?s one way to prevent it. Also keeps anybody from walking off with the battery. It?s pretty simple and cheap. Just pop the hood and there's enough slack to lock or unlock. The bracket has a 90 degree bend that attaches under the nearest striker bolt, which is a 2" long Allen button head with a nyloc nut. If someone wanted to unbolt it they'd be there for a while:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ccharr

ccharr Member

That happened to me on my 65 once before I painted it. that really sucks when it happens, sure wakes you up fast. Sorry to hear it happened to you. The fix picture is a good one.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  6. davidrw

davidrw Member

Thanks for your help and comments guys.

Fortunately only doing about 30mph on a clear road when it happened.

That's a neat fix Markeb01, I will be installing that one for peace of mind.

7. markeb01

markeb01 Member

I just remembered when I was a kid back in the 1960's we had a 1958 Nash Metropolitan my dad bought new. Right after we left a service station the hood flew open on the freeway. It was pretty scary as it flew back so fast and hard it broke the windshield and then folded the hood over the roof (the hood had almost no structural support underneath).

I'd forgotten that was the reason I started chaining my hoods down as soon as I was old enough to get a drivers license, a habit I've been doing ever since.

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Hood Open

Just last weekend I left my truck for 15 minutes and noticed some sketchy guys loitering around it ,I went a few miles including some freeway and when I arrived and parked , noticed my hood was on the 1/2 latch ~ I don't know if those guys were looking under the hood or what ~ it's never come loose before
    and I drive it way too fast in the twisty bits where body flex often causes hood latch failures .

9. LostMy65

LostMy65 Member

I definitely want to do the mod like Mark.
    But in the meantime, I saw a pic where a guy used a simple bicycle cable and lock and ran it through the hood's front slot.

10. 66 Truck Drive

66 Truck Drive Member

At least you didn't break something! The hood could'ave snapped the bolts that hold it to the hinges.