1949 Chevy 3600......making it a daily driver!!

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Coach529, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Coach529

Coach529 Member

OK, so I pulled the tranny back and R & R the flexplate in the correct orientation. I bolted the tranny back up and have about 3/8" of space between the flex plate and the bolt pads for the converter. Is it OK to slide the converter back out to the flex plate and bolt up?

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Typically yes .

I really like that Locar shifter .

3. 2OR4Wheels

2OR4Wheels Member

Cant answer the converter question, but wanted to say things are looking good, Coach!

4. Ednarg

Ednarg Member

Sorry if I missed it but can you give details on the radiator. See that's it's champion. All aluminum? Rows? Etc? Have a 350sbc with an old radiator I need to replace. Thanks

5. Coach529

Coach529 Member

Champion 3 row purchased off Ebay with a 16" fan. Fit and finish is really good. I am really pleased so far.

6. Coach529

Coach529 Member

Another huge hurdle has been crossed!! Henry is BACK on the road.

I finished buttoning up the torque converter and flex plate issue and bolted on the brand new driveshaft. I double and triple checked everything and dropped him down on all 4 wheels.

Fired right up and I checked the tranny fluid. After adding some I backed him out of the garage!! Huge smiles!!! :metal:

A couple spins around the neighborhood and more checking of nuts and bolts and I advanced the timing to get rid of a pesky miss right off idle. By the end of the night I had it running really good......I am hitting up my local repair shop tomorrow and check the timing and take a look at the carb. They specialize in hot rods and race cars.

Still not 100 sold on the exhaust.......It is a little loud and I get a resonation at certain RPM's that will drive me nuts. Hoping some dynamat on the floor will help.....other wise new mufflers.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  7. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Rock on! That first drive is always a nervous one....

8. Coach529

Coach529 Member

Yea.....stayed pretty close to home.

9. RustyDog

RustyDog Member

Congratulations! That picture is pretty cool too.

10. Coach529

Coach529 Member

I am hoping to get it all buttoned up and take it out with my real camera tonight.....

11. Coach529

Coach529 Member

We timed this thing originally with just the open headers. Now that I have added the full exhaust system, the timing is pretty far off.

I am just timing by ear, but I have advanced the timing quite a bit, and still do not have any pinging under load. The more I advance the timing, the better it idles and the quieter it is.

Just got back from a drive and am pretty damn happy with the noise level.

12. ccharr

ccharr Member

Congrats on getting the truck back on the road Mike.

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Ignition Timing

This is really critical and a proper inductive timing light is under $50 new .

Do not trust anyone at the Hot Rod shop to do it correctly ! they'll give it all the advance they think it can stand , this gives it max. power but can damage the engine easily .

YOU will always do a better job because you care and will take the time they cannot afford to take .

14. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I don't know about the Chevy 6, but the instructions in the manual for the GMC has you reduce the idle speed to 350 RPM (below the normal 400-450) when setting timing because the centrifugal advance starts 400.

15. Coach529

Coach529 Member

Solid weekend in the garage.....despite other responsibilities!!

[​IMG]

Swapped out my junkyard alternator for a new rebuilt......now we are charging.

Chased down a noisy vacuum leak.

Bolted on the hood and front bumper.....looks much better.

Every errand this weekend ended up being a mini cruise session.......took the LONG route everywhere!! :)

I think my battery is junk......I cannot get it to take more than 12VDC even after sitting for 12hours on a trickle charger......last winter was tough on it.

Motor pulls good off the bottom, but needs some tuning in the midrange. Should pull harder I think. Really please overall though. Runs awesome......so happy!!

Ended the weekend with a long cruise with my oldest and youngest......good times!!

[​IMG]

16. Zig

Zig Member

Great news, Mike! If you have time, maybe a short video of it running the roads?
    Looks like you and your sons found a great destination! As always, awesome pictures.

17. Coach529

Coach529 Member

Still tinkering and cruising daily.

Spent some time at the local repair shop. My timing was right on, but I had the vacuum line to my HEI on the wrong port on my carb, so I had no vacuum advance except at high rpm. That woke it up.......runs like a scalded cat now!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  18. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

nice cruiser

Nice truck great build now don't go around town doing burn outs now and if you do we want to hear about it. almost wish I put a v8.
    ROBERT

19. Coach529

Coach529 Member

20. Coach529

Coach529 Member

So I have some miles on the old guy now. Runs like a champ.

I think I need another set of wheels with some cheap tires on them. The wide whites are taking a beating!! I taught my oldest son the better points of a smokey burnout today...........turns out my 3.43 rear end is limited slip. ;)

Next step is going through the suspension. Front springs are sagging and I am sure all the shackles and bolts are shot. Lots of rattles and rough ride. Probably going to lose some of the low stance, but it will be worth it for a little better ride.

Then start tracking down rattles and cab noise.......

I will also be looking for a little better gearing for the highway. I do not have a tach, but I am guessing I am pulling 3K at 65 right now. Would like to drop that a bit.

Speedo is off about 15mph at 65mph. Need to fix that........

If I could do the whole conversion again about all I would do differently is change from hugger headers to ram horns to make fitment a bit easier. Other than that......the whole experience was pretty painless!!

Thanks for all the input......made it all pretty easy for a newbie!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]