air filter

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by psy999, Sep 28, 2006.

1. psy999

psy999 Member

Truer words were never spoken, this late time I got the carb on so fast I kept wondering what I forgot to hook up!

I was puzzled because I couldn't figure out what the common denominator was that would cause all three carbs to act the same, or for that matter to cause my apparently good original carb to go bad. I was swapping parts around but still getting the same problem. Finally, I was putting it back together after re-polishing the brass power valve (it's really smooth now) when I heard a slight sound while handling the floats.

You guessed it, gas in both floats. Arrghh, I've got that tinnitis in my ears from being exposed to too much loud noise and I just can't hear like I used too.

Anyway, this particular float came out of the first carb and looked brand new which is why I kept reusing it. Murphy's law.

I put it all back together with a different float, put it back on the truck and fired it up. No leaks, runs great!

Now to change the oil (too much gas mixed in by now), get the correct fuel filter, and we're off and running.

I sure did learn a lot about the carburetor and I really appreciate the time you took to help me.

Thanks
    Dave

P.S. can those floats be sealed with solder if I find the leaks and get the gas out?

2. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Last edited: Oct 15, 2006
  3. henry51

henry51 Member

Yes, you can fix the floats. To get the gas out, heat a pan of water till it boils, then place the floats in the water till the bubbles stop. You will see were the bubbles come from. Then just seal the pin holes with solder.

Henry

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Like Henry said .

Just a tiny dot of solder will do the job else the float will weigh too much and you're back to square one .

If you get a really good counterman @ NAPA , the float should be available new , I forget the line , maybe Tomco ? .

Nice old '54 ~ is this the one with the 305 ? or does it have the pictured 235 ? . take a look fellas , see how close the fan is to the radiator ? that's O.K. .