1953 GMC pickup "new to this site"

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by patrickkryan, Oct 15, 2009.

1. patrickkryan

patrickkryan Member

I just bought a 1953 and was wondering any major things I should know before starting a restoration? I have restored VWs before but never a truck

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Keep it running as long as possible to keep interest up. When dissassembling, take lots of pictures and bag EVERYTHING with labels. They all need corners and most need floors replaced. Ask on here and we'll help you all we can. Get a copy of How to Restore Your Chevy Truck, The Factory Assembly Manual, and the shop manual, and consult them regularly.
    https://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=9530
    This is my current build thread.
    https://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=9536
    My wiring thread.
    https://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=10877
    Vent window rebuild thread.
    https://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=9169
    My IRS install.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/rpettycustommurals/JimS53#
    An album of the 53.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/rpettycustommurals/My51#
    My truck album.
    http://forum.olskoolrodz.com/showthread.php?p=621765#post621765
    How we built a fuel cell.
    https://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=7677
    the 50 I built.

Good Luck!

3. Zig

Zig Member

Welcome!!!

Another GMC!!! Yeeha!:D
    What Russ said. Take LOTS of pictures as you take it apart and bag and label EVERYTHING! You may think this is overkill, but it's not.
    While you're taking those pictures, don't forget to share them with US!;)

4. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    I knew this would happen!

When we changed the name from "Chevy Duty" to "Classic Parts", I was afraid of all the RiffRaff it might let in. Now look at all the "G" men we got swarmin' around here. Some with names like 'Woof", Boys...watch your daughters:eek:!

Just kidding, luckily most of these parts and advice will work on your "G" as well! Welcome aboard.

Flashlight

5. Indy225

Indy225 Member

Classic parts forum....

As you can see from this site, the information is unbelievable. Gone are the days of you and the shop manual! With guys like Russ around, I have rebuilt and put back my trucks twenty times. His photo's and tips are priceless! All the people here are really great about answering questions and offering tips,so don't be afraid to dive in. These trucks are really a great piece of Auto history and should be recognized by people to not destroy them. I have a 54 five window (chevy), and a 50 GMC I am currently rebuilding. I made the mistake of doing both at the same time (my OCD was kicking in:eek:;)...). It is slow going, twice the expense, but loads of fun! You will not be disappointed with your efforts as everyone loves these gems! Mine are all original as I am a "purist",
    but some guys are really talented and have great imaginations as you will see. All I can say is welcome and good luck with your rig!

6. patrickkryan

patrickkryan Member

Well thank you for the warm welcome. I am quite exited to start this project. I only have a cupple photos right now but soon I will have more. I have also thought of my first question. how large of a engine and what type for transmition will i have to install to make the truck cappable of crusing at 100 mph.

7. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Lets see, at 32' per second squared how high would you have to drop it from?

8. patrickkryan

patrickkryan Member

I take it you think it is not possable?

9. ccharr

ccharr Member

At times I can now travel at 80 :D and I can see it doing 100, however the front brakes are/were not designed for that.:eek:
    I have a 235 with 342/1 rear gears. :rolleyes:

10. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I have a 350/350, A fatman front end, a t bird IRS with a 3.08 rear. It will go 100, but I cruise it at 75-85 all day long. I wouldn't want to do that in stock form, maybe 65-70 with a rear gear change and a lot of whoa room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO72HZ1SttQ
    This guy is behind me at Lowe's, we're going about 85 in the straights.

11. coilover

coilover Member

To get one to go 100mph is easy, cost maybe 5 grand done right. To have one cruise at 100 with any degree of safety and stability is at least 30 grand. Not only does the entire suspension and brakes have to go but little things like Z series tires, bear claw door latches, keeping the air from under the truck, air gate or highly louvered tailgate, 3 point seat belts, 4 point cage--more for chassis stiffening than roll over protection, lower stance with at least a 4 degree rake, and a top chop with the windshield leaned back will all help. With the above done and an engine like a 500 Cadillac with huge torque along with gearing in the 250-280 to 1 range will make one cruise on the century mark with ease. This particular truck I've just described will get 8 to 9 mpg if in perfect tune. My whole life I have worshipped speed and have built numerous very fast rides but unless you now live in some place like Nevada or west Texas, where can you hit the century mark except in short bursts? Certainly not on highways that are increasingly crowded with 4dr sedans full of families. I have customers with a GT-40 Ford, a Viper with the Venom Mod, and a turbo'd Z06 Vette that will all flirt with or exceed the 200 mph mark but it is for bragging rights and not something that can be used.

12. dads55

dads55 Member

GMC trucks.

A website that you will find absolutely invaluable and fun is oldgmctrucks.com . Great people and tons of info on GMC trucks.

13. patrickkryan

patrickkryan Member

ok the reason I put 100 mph as my marker is i want to beable to go up grapevine hill at 85 and i figure if it can do 100 on flat land it can do 85 on hills

14. ccharr

ccharr Member

Going up the Grapevine in any pick-up at 85 would be nice however I like going over it in at 50 and enjoying the fact it can.

15. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

O.k. ,

I see you're a So. Cal. boy , so am I and my '49 with original Torque Tube and '57 235 can easily fly up The Grapevine @ 75 , I don't go any faster as that'd over speed the engine plus as mentioned before , these old rigs are UNSAFE at speed.......

Think before you wreck another classic that cannot be replaced .

16. patrickkryan

patrickkryan Member

this is why I asked insted of just doing. I wanted to see what truck people thought about it. they clearly think that it is impractical and reckless to make a cross country car out of this truck. so i will just get it running and continue to look for a cross country car

17. ccharr

ccharr Member

Not Going 100 all the time does not mean your ride can not travel cross country. Going cross country at the speed limits is nothing for these old trucks, I drive mine to Arizona and back and have yet worry about making it to and fro.

18. patrickkryan

patrickkryan Member

that is what I was hopeing to hear. thank you. I will be going to get my truck in november how big of a trailer will I need?

19. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

?? Trailer ??

You don't need no stinkin' TRAILER ! this isn't some wretched Brand ' F ' product .

Just tune it up and drive it home.....

I do that all the time and it's a good shake down .

Or , rent a 3/4 ~ 1 ton pickup and a TWO AXLE trailer with surge brakes as these things are heavy , being made of lots and lots of good American steel .

FWIW , my unrestored beater 1949 Chevy 3100 shop truck criss crosses the desert @ 65 MPH loaded or empty and it's only upgrades are 1957 235 , 12 volts and radial LT tires (tall & skinny like they should be) .

20. patrickkryan

patrickkryan Member

as interesting as that was it does not answer my question