Final touches

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Crane, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Crane

Crane Member

New guy here
    Gotta few questions following a rebuild of a 1954 gm 235 and placed into a 1950 chevy 3800.

1) accelerator linkage from pedal to carb. The linkage I have from the 1950 doesn't seem to fit. Is the 1954 linkage that much different? Is the 54 a 2 point pivot? Pictures please!

2) throttle and choke cables/ placement on the carter carb

3) any words of wisdom on a first start to a rebuilt motor.

4) 6v to 12 v conversion. Easiest way to do it correct. I know I can use the old 6v starter it will just spin faster. I have a new coil, headlight switch and 12v battery. We're is the best place to put some voltage regulators?

Thanks guys. All answers welcome.

2. fab51

fab51 Member

No pictures available yet, but

here are a few answers...

1) There is a difference in the placement of the throttle bell crank on the block between earlier and later engines. I don't know exactly when the change was made, but I do know that the '56 235 in my truck has both mounting locations. The earlier one is closer to the middle of the block. The later location is about 3 or 4 inches behind the early one.

2) On a Rochester B, the choke and throttle cable are held by a clamp that attaches to the rear inside carb screw. The one clamp holds both cables. There is a similar clamp for the Carter carb, but I'm not sure which screw holds it.

3) I try to make sure that oil has been circulated through the engine. Remove the distributor. Get an old regular screwdriver that you can cut the handle off of. Chuck the screwdriver into a drill and insert it into the distributor hole, being careful to engage it into the oil pump drive. Spin the drill until oil pressure registers on the gauge. If I recall correctly, the proper direction is clockwise, but you would want to confirm that. :)

Once the engine is fired up, I try to keep the idle fairly low. Let it warm up to operating temperature, looking for leaks and listening for anything abnormal. If everything looks OK, it is time to take a spin.

4) This topic was just covered on the forum a day or two ago. See here: https://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=18654 In my opinion, the easiest way to change to 12 volt is to use a 12 volt alternator with an internal regulator. It requires one main wire to charge and a DA plug with switched power to excite the alternator. A 12 volt generator can be used, but you would need to have a 12 volt regulator. As far as I know, all stock wiring could be used with a 12 volt generator/regulator.

3. ccharr

ccharr Member

Welcome aboard enjoy the ride while here.

Charles

4. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Look through my How to assemble an AD thread, I had the same issue with the throttle linkage.

5. Crane

Crane Member

got it figured out. the swivel point that is post is nicely hidden below the manifolds was found and the linkage fits perfectly.