converting 53 chevy from 6V to 12 V

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Jim G, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Jim G

Jim G Member

I need guidance and suggestions for steps and parts needed to convert my 53 Chevy pickup with a 235 engine from a 6 volt to a 12 volt system. I assume I need a 12 V battery and likely an alternator rather than generator, but what else do I need and to be aware of. Also, where to get an alternator. Thanks for your time and help.
    Jim G

2. fab51

fab51 Member

Here is the list of items, at least the best I can remember:

12V alternator with internal regulator-"one wire" alternator
    DA plug-plugs into the alternator. run to ignition switch to excite the alternator.
    12V bulbs for everything
    special voltage reducer for gas gauge. Our host sells these.
    ceramic resistor for heater motor (if equipped with heater)
    12V battery
    ceramic ignition resistor (for the current running to the points)

Your six volt horn and starter will LOVE 12 volts. Just don't keep the starter engaged for more than a few seconds. All of your switches will be ok, since a switch doesn't care whether you run 6 or 12 volts. Everything you need, with the exception of the gas gauge voltage reducer, should be available at your FLAPS.

3. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    Call Patricks Antique Trucks in Arizona for a catalog.....I think he has a website now too. He gives a step by step How-to article. Its maybe two pages long. If he has a website you can probably just download.

Its so easy we can do it in East Tennessee. Hand full of bulbs, and a few voltage change thingies for your heater and other 6 volt motor/radio items you retain.

4. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Alternator is not a "must". I converted mine to 12 volt, but it has a 12 volt generator, which are plentiful!

5. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Napa IC64 coil has internal resistor, get rid of the ceramic block on the firewall.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Alternator

You'll need to either find a 1962 Chevy 235 alternator bracket or buy a fancy new one to mount an alternator to the 216/235/261 engine , or , do like we did 40 + years ago :

Remove the generator bracket and turn it 180? , measure and drill one new hole , use a bit of pipe or a stack of flat washers and a long through bolt to support the alternator , the flat washers can easily be shuffled to shim the alternator until the pulley sheaves line up perfectly .

DO NOT use too few washers and mindlessly tighten the bolt until the ends of the bracket bend ! .

FWIW , a $35 SI alternator from any old Camaro will work fine , alternators only put out the actual amperage needed so those $150 100 ampere alternators are unecessary , kinda nice bragging rights though ~ IIRC Caddys had higher out put Delcotrons than did the average old Chevy V-8 .

Fifth Avenue Auto Parts (Randy Rundle) sells a nice 12 > 6 volt regulator to run your gas gauge ,

7. Jim G

Jim G Member

thanks for all your suggestions and recommendations::D