How to hang the front clip

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ol' chebby, Nov 21, 2012.

1. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Front end assembly....

Start by gluing fender welt to rear of front fender.

DSCN0356.jpg

Set radiator support on rubber pads, drop bolts through lower holes. 51 and earlier have a center bolt, 52 up has 2 bolts. Here they are...
    DSCN0355.jpg

Hang fenders, install 2 bolts in rear of fenders, then 2 upper bolts into core supports. DO NOT TIGHTEN. Leave everything loosely snugged so you can adjust later.
    DSCN0354.jpg

2 bolts will go from the upper core support down into the fender, 2 from fender into core support. do not install lower 2 bolts to core support yet.

3 bolts per side go into the inner fender mounts..
    DSCN0357.jpg

Hang both fenders, then tape grille opening. Now slide in lower splash apron, tabs between the inner fender and core support. Use a small phillips head screwdriver to help line up holes, then insert 2 bolts per side. Now install the small lag bolts...3 per side..through the front lower inner fender into the back of the splash apron.
    DSCN0363.jpg

Here are the bolts from inside the fender. I used all stainless hardware for the extra detail and they wont rust.

DSCN0365.jpg

Here is the A/C condenser from Old Air. Run and wrap your wire harness, planning as you go.
    DSCN0366.jpg

Put male/ female spade terminals on the park/ turn signal wires so that if yo have to remove the grille you don't have to cut wires.
    DSCN6042.jpg

Install fender braces. I find it easier to bolt to firewall first, then you have more leverage to get it bolted to the fenders. You may need to shift the front clip to help line up.
    DSCN6043.jpg

Carefully slide grille into opening, use screwdriver to attempt to line up bolt holes from inner fender, swear alot, and get at least 2 bolts started. There are 2 lag srews per side that have to go from behind the fender to the top grille bar. These require lots more swearing and unnatural positions to get to.
    Be shure to use speed clips in the lower grill holes before you install, then put lag bolts into holes from underneath the splash apron.

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

If I were a drinkin' man, I'd go get a beer....
    DSCN6046.jpg

Here's how she sits now.
    DSCN6045.jpg