What I did this summer.

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by smfulle, Oct 14, 2009.

1. smfulle

smfulle Member

As a teacher with no garage in the middle of the "greatest snow on earth" (at least that's what the tourist brochures say), I have to do most of my work on my truck in the summer. This summer I removed the tired old 327 the previous owner of my truck had in it and replaced it with a 350. At the same time I took out the old truck 4 speed with the Granny first gear and replaced it with a sweet shifting 5 speed overdrive transmission.

First picture is the before. I painted the front part of the frame with PUR 15 along with the inner fenders and the fire wall. I'm still working on figuring out how to best route the wires and hoses to make the engine compartment not look so cluttered, but she runs sweet and shifts sweet. I'm getting the rear end rebuilt in the next few weeks then the drive train will be new from fan to axles.

The rest of the truck still looks kinda ugly, but I'll get there.

Stan

Attached Files:

2. I.F. 59 Apache

I.F. 59 Apache Member

looks great. congrats. :)

3. NDtruck

NDtruck Member

Very nice Indeed. Keep it up and keep everyone here posted on progress. :)

4. steve

steve Member

Stan,

What brand Headers you have, looks like just the steering is tight (you previously noted)? I was thinging of using some bkock huger type but luke the full tube design. :rolleyes:

Steve

5. smfulle

smfulle Member

Headman

Steve

I bought headman headers from Summit. Basically I just searched by vehicle in their catalog and took a chance on what came up.

I like how they look, but they are right up against the steering box on the drivers side. I'm thinking about getting power steering and using the newer chevy power steering box that mounts on the outside of the frame.

Here's a link to the summit catalog.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-69268/

Stan

6. I.F. 59 Apache

I.F. 59 Apache Member

You make it sound like removing the front clip is easy. What is the best way to take the front sheet metal off as you did? Did you remove it all as one unit or did you take each fender off etc. I would like to remove my front clip to get things cleaned up on my truck but I don't really want to undo each individual part.

7. smfulle

smfulle Member

Removing the front sheetmetal

is not really a big job. Take the hood off. Take off the hood springs(this can be a bit of a trick, I used vise grips and a big screwdriver.)Take out the bolts holding the hood hinges to the inner fender. Remove bolts at the top back of each fender, the bottom back of each fender, the fender braces and a tab on the firewall on each side holding the inner fender. Two big bolts at the bottom of the radiator/grill support hold it to the frame, get those out. Drain your radiator and disconect the hoses. Unplug the wires that are connected to the fenders. One plug at the firewall did this for me. Get a couple of your buddies to help you lift the whole kit and kaboodle up and off. I pulled my off myself, but I wasn't worried about scratching paint when I took it off. I think it took me about 1/2 hour. I was really kinda suprised how few bolts were actually holding the whole mess on.

I attached a picture of my front clip removed. Arrows point to the spots where the bolts are. I didn't put arrows on the fender brace locations.

Stan

Attached Files:

8. steve

steve Member

Smfulle,

I must say thit's some green grass, (I just had an irrigation system installed fro my front yard,) back to the front clip, I just take apart everything. Since I mostly work solo when the son is not around. Also Smfulle, what you think of the motor mounts pictures.

I am geting ready to order my 350, (yes 350) by end of next month. ( my boat came in. Your right about the front motor mounts, you get better clearance with the side units.

9. smfulle

smfulle Member

Motor mounts

Steve,

I'm no expert at all. I'm a Jr. High librarian! Anyway, the motor mounts you showed looked pretty cool, and it would be great not to have an extra cross member. Do they talk about how they hold up? To my untrained eye they look a bit like they would be hanging out there with a lot of torque leverage hitting them every time you jumped on that 350. The cross member type "look" like they would be stronger to me, but I don't know anything about it really. Who sells that type?

The grass doesn't look that way all summer, but in May and June it looks pretty good if you use enough earth killing chemicals on it.

Stan

10. I.F. 59 Apache

I.F. 59 Apache Member

I think that the wiring might just be the hardest part since my truck has been rewired. I will have to give it a good look. I have a couple of weeks off for the holiday.