12 Bolt versus Colorado rear-end

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by steve l, Mar 5, 2015.

1. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Steve,
    in one of my posts [I believe its in the JOURNEY thread (no, not the BAND)] I posted a picture of a stock wheel >almost< up against the drum. I say almost, because the hub of the Colorado axle is larger in diameter than the center hole of a stock AD 16" wheel. In another thread (the Colorado rear end), I posted some dimensions.

2. steve l

steve l Member

Mike and Zig I think I know what you are talking about....

So if I understand what you both are saying (and I have seen this on the axle of the Colorado I am exchanging today) the round hub on the Colorado sticks out approximately 1/4" past the brake drum. Because of that the wheel will not sit flat because the wheel opening on the original wheels is smaller than the diameter of the hub. I can solve this problem by having them machine down the hub on the axle so it rests flush or even sits a little recessed in the drum opening? I am assuming the preference would be to machine down the hub as opposed to making the axle shorter? Or are you saying that they should machine the hub to the right diameter to fit the stock wheel? I could see that potentially could be problematic considering I don't have the wheels yet. It would seem that machining the axle down flush to the drum would be the way to go but by doing that it would essentially seem you have lost having wheels that are hubcentric (because they do not rest on the hub anymore) and you may as well just buy the spacer as Zig has suggested and have lugcentric wheels? What do you guys think? It seems the most versatile solution is the spacer?

3. steve l

steve l Member

So this is what I have now....

I loaded up the axle which I am pretty sure was bent and picked up this 05 Canyon axle at a different yard. In didn't have all of the parts in great condition like the other one but it seems all of those parts can be found new and inexpensive online. The most important thing is this one appears to be straight with no major leaking problems......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My only question for those that have done this conversion is what have you done with that tube in the last picture that comes off of the housing?

4. Zig

Zig Member

Nothing... yet

That is the least of my worries right now. Let the grinding/cutting begin!

Hey, I made it this far at least.

Attached Files:

5. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

This one looks better. The tube coming off of the axle in the last photo is simply a vent. It just goes up to the frame or x-member above the axle. Be sure to allow enough hose for axle movement, up and down.