1947 - 1953 Tailgate Script

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Lakeroadster, Feb 26, 2014.

1. coilover

coilover Member

We do our tailgate lettering two ways; if the letter paint is to match some paint on the body we first paint the whole gate the matching color, use stick on letters that have been rubbed on a fuzzy cloth to kill some of the adhesion which are then stuck in place and then the body color is sprayed. When decals are removed the desired color is on the letters ( Chevy pickup). If stick on letters are used a light coat of clear is dry sprayed (prevents curling) over the decal letters followed by several heavy coats of wet clear. This "Decoupages" the letters into place forever. (GMC pickup).

IMG_4161.JPG 51 GMC 009.jpg

2. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Not all CAD systems are designed to "do" lettering, and by extension, fonts. The CAD system I sit in front of every day (I have it at work AND at home) is Creo (aka ProEngineer). Solidworks is a very similar tool. Autocad is more of a 2D tool. 3D modelers like Creo and Solidworks are primarily intended to "model" than "draw". Just my $.02.

3. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Evan, when you do this, do you just let the first light coat flash and then finish with heavy coats? Or, do you allow a light coat to dry, then finish?
    Also, what brand of paint products do you guys prefer? I've used almost exclusively Dupont(Axalta), for several years. Never used PPG, although they offer some beautiful, Hotrod custom finishes that are really nice. Many $$$.

Steve.

4. coilover

coilover Member

Steve,
    We let the first coat dry to where it will imprint but not stick. The second coat is actually a medium wet coat followed by a wet coat. For "no feel" lettering we put the seal coat on the letters and then bring several coats up to the edge of but not on the letters. After several coats the clear is also sprayed on the letters so after color sanding there is no ridge around the letters. Visa-Versa for painted on letters. We use several products but probably more PPG. The DuPont priming system is better and we did use the Hot Hues but I guess DuPont has dropped them. We are going to try the Valspar clear next week as the paint rep says good things are being said about it. No cheaper. Clears are our main demon in Texas, be it flow out time on 108 degree days or holding up to the relentless sun (UV).

5. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

That would be awesome.

Based on my research however an up-loadable font style(s) that is technically correct for the tailgates on these vintage Chevy / GMC trucks is "unobtanium". You have to remember there weren't computers back then creating these... it was a detailer on a drafting board.

You can't got wrong with using actual vintage steel though to replicate them on a CAD station. It's a bit tedious, but the end product comes out "factory" in appearance.

John

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017