1947 '216' engine for sale

Discussion in 'Truck Parts for Sale' started by My 472, Jul 4, 2001.

1. My 472

My 472 Member

I've got a 216 thriftmaster out of my 47 Chevy 1/2 ton. I'm putting in a 235 so I don't need it. 3/4's of the engine is in tact.The items missing are the starter,generator,and exhaust manifold.That's all that I know that is missing.It has'nt ran since the mid 70's. I was told that at least one bearing got spun the last time it ran and that's the last time it ran. I think it would be a good engine to rebuld if someone was wanting that size of engine.I would like a $100.00 for it or trade for various parts that I need for my truck.

Mike

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Hey Mike , expect to get about $20.00 for it unless you find someone who needs the head - good running 216's abound for $125.00
    -Nate

3. My 472

My 472 Member

Nate:
    Thanks... I'll keep that in mind. I relly don't care about the money anyway I just want it out of my way. I didn't know that's all a good running 216 went for.

Mike

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Well they're really great engines just not so good for freeway driving as the bottom end oiling is , well , odd ~ GM called it
    "Target Lube" and the rods actually dip into the oil at slower speeds , higher speeds the oil squirts out of little nozzles ,
    'targeting' the oil holes in the rod bearing caps . - no , really it's true ! no pressure oiling to the rods .

In anycase , your 216 engine will happily zip along @ 60 MPH right untill it burns out a rod bearing , occasionally it comes out the side of the engine . very good on gas , my buddy in East L.A. burned a rod on his '49 way back nearly 20 years ago and still drives it back and forth to work and on weekends too , gets really good milage (for a truck) and doesn't knock too terribly loud :) .

Put some oil in the cylinders and cover the carby , I'm sure some one will come along in a bit and give you good $$ for it as it runs and all .
    -Nate

5. My 472

My 472 Member

Nate:
    Thanks for the information. I talked to a person about three months ago from the Egge co. and he told me the same thing and a whole lot more. That's why I'm putting my 235 in it. Like I said it's not about the money I just want it out of my yard or trade for a part or two if someone wants it.

Mike

6. tailfins1959

tailfins1959 Member

Make sure you keep the valve cover. You can buy special rocker bolts for your 235 that will allow you to disguise your 235 as a 216. Looks really close, "only an expert can tell the difference". For the rest, scrap steel sells for a penny a pound.

7. My 472

My 472 Member

tailfins1959:
    I just gave the engine to someone a few days ago that I know. He's down on his luck and he's going to take it for scrape and keep the money.I took your avice and kept the valve cover and a few other items off of it.

Mike ;)