1950 GMC 150 truck radiator

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Tank126, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Tank126

Tank126 Member

just purchased the truck and wondering what is on the top tank of the radiator with a pipe that vents to atmosphere.

Attached Files:

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

That is the pressure relief valve for the radiator. By 1952, GMC started using a "regular" radiator cap that combined a filler with a pressure relief valve. Take your radiator cap off and note that it doesn't have a pressure relief valve built it.

Also note the valve just to the passenger's side of the radiator cap. Its purpose is to allow checking coolant level without removing the cap. Just barely crack it open. If liquid dribbles out the radiator is full.

3. Tank126

Tank126 Member

Bill,

Thank you for the information. Good have have members with so much knowledge to share.

4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Did some more research and found that the pressure relief valve (ie. pressurized cooling system) was standard on 300 series and larger trucks. It was optional on 150 through 280 series trucks. All of these had a "port" on the top tank of the radiator that could be equipped with the pressure relief valve.

5. Tank126

Tank126 Member

Thanks again Bill. As I have time to dive into the truck I'm sure I will have many more questions.