1952 Chevy 3600 - Project for me and my boy...

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 2OR4Wheels, Jun 21, 2013.

1. 2OR4Wheels

2OR4Wheels Member

Rear suspension....

So I am stressing, but maybe I shouldn't be. Would like thoughts, comments, experiences, etc to help me make my decisions. I really don't want to cut on the frame if I don't ABSOLUTELY have to.

I removed my stock rear end from the truck last night, and realized something that I had not before. My 3600 frame is 10" narrower than a 3100 frame. I had originally thought that I would order a suspension kit such as:
    http://www.progressiveautomotive.co...-suspensions/leaf-spring-rear-suspension.html

This kit's leafs mount under the frame similar to how the 1/2 tons do, unlike mine in which the leaf springs mount on the outside of the frame. So I didnt think the kit would work. But after searching and searching, I found a guy over at Stovebolt that has the 3600 and used a similar kit made by TCI. My worry is though that with the leafs/u-bolts attached to the rear end (using the 81 Firebird rear end that I picked up), that maybe I would have issues with ride quality?

Kit: http://www.totalcostinvolved.com/p/...olic-leaf-spring-suspension-kit-plain-package

Pictures: http://s729.photobucket.com/user/BIGCHEVY3600/library/10 BOLT REAR AND DISC BRAKES?sort=3&page=1

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I don't see where ride quality would suffer, you are replicating what is already there. You are just updating worn leafs and bushings. Bolt up new springs, set up new shackles on springs, then center the axle. Bolt down snug, put truck on its wheels and measurepinion angle, then set up rear end angle, weld saddle brackets and finalize everything.

3. 2OR4Wheels

2OR4Wheels Member

Since I have the 3/4 ton, the leafs are on the side of the frame, and on top of the axle. By using the kit, I would have the leafs under the frame, and under the axle. I did actually get a hold of TCI last night, and they said it would work, but suggested ordering the 55-59 kit instead, since I have the 3/4 ton. I am kind of skeptical (just don't want to be stuck paying return shipping if it doesn't work), so I will probably call back to confirm from someone else. Or confirm that they will cover return shipping if I have to send it back.

On the subject of pinion angle, since I don't have motor/trans/front propeller shaft in, do you think I would be alright in setting the rear close (~3-4 degrees), and adjust with shims if need be once I get everything back in?

4. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Find a spring and suspension shop near you...they will specialize in heavy truck stuff. Give them your spec.s and they can make whatever you need, even dropped springs. We have one in Charlotte called spring services whom I have used before.

I have (had) a 3/4 ton also. They are identical to the 1/2 ton from front to front cab mounts, then they run parrallell straight back. I would rather use the springs outboard like stock.( center of gravity/ leverage, etc) I used my stock springs when I first built my truck using a 90 Town car rear. I pulled every other leaf from the pack and used weld on saddle brackets. If you don't have your driveline in, just mount your axle centered, approximate the pinion angle, then clamp down using ubolts over the axle to hold in place. hen everything is in, set your final pinion and then weld.

5. 2OR4Wheels

2OR4Wheels Member

I wish we had a suspension shop here! When I did call one in Tucson (75+ miles away), they said rebuilding my front springs would START at $275 each. Bought the new ones through the host a lot cheaper.

Pulling every other leaf, do you know how much that dropped you? And I assume you left the axle under the leafs? I have been hesitant about pulling and leafs out of the pack, as I have heard differing stories about safety, handling, etc etc.

On a different note, I pulled the cover on the Camaro rear, and I believe I have 3:08 gears. A little lower than I had wanted, but since I will drive this on the highway, and will never be towing or hauling heavy loads (have the F250 for that), I think it will serve me ok.

6. 2OR4Wheels

2OR4Wheels Member

Front end down on the ground...

1/2 ton spindle nuts came in, was able to get everything together, and the wheels on. These are 205/70/15's, but they will allow me to roll until I get the DB whitewalls, 215/75/15's.

Attached Files:

7. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

When pulling springs, always leave theoverload on the bottom, it keeps the springs from reversing. Pull the next one, skip one and pull the next. Put all back together and see what you have. If needed, pull the next, put back and see. I flipped mine, because I go for low....then C notch the frame for ride quality.

8. pmoron

pmoron Member

Love the project!

I can tell I'll be spending lots of time here. I just took a '52 3600 in partial trade for a Corvette I had. I was planning to sell it, but there's too much potential there and I'm loving the idea of having another project.
    Keep up the good work!

9. Zig

Zig Member

Welcome, pmoron! Yup, this site will do you in~

BTW, pictures of your baby are always welcome!

You picked a great project.

10. ccharr

ccharr Member

Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride while here. Got photo?

11. pmoron

pmoron Member

Thanks guys.

Here's a few pics of the new wheels. It's a Canadian model and I'm planning on doing the front axle swap and a camaro/firebird rear with an automatic. I'm torn about whether to do a mild hop-up with the I6 or V8. I know for sure I'm going to keep the truck looking like an original 3100 as much as possible, with the exception of paint, pinstriping and 50's rat rod style wheels (whitewalls, etc). I'll be tearing into it next spring once I get my garage built.

Attached Files:

12. ccharr

ccharr Member

Great photos thanks for posting them, thanks for sharing them.
    You should start a new threat sharing your great truck and the progress you are going to make on it.

13. Zig

Zig Member

I agree with Charles on both points! Your truck looks like it is in mighty fine shape! Start a thread and keep us posted on what you are doing, It will help us, and help others who are wondering what to do to their (new) ride. ;)

14. 2OR4Wheels

2OR4Wheels Member

Looks good! Wish my interior was that nice when I started! :cool: Look forward to see more pictures of your journey.

15. pmoron

pmoron Member

Thanks guys.

I'll do that in the spring once I'm moved in and have some space. Now I'll quit hijacking this thread. ;)

16. 2OR4Wheels

2OR4Wheels Member

Had put the truck on hold for a little while while I was buying some tools. Got back to it recently, and got a few things done. Rear end set and spring perches welded, cleaned the thing up and painted it. Cut some notches with the new plasma cutter (made the job A LOT easier). And Skeeter was nice enough to come over and weld the pipe, as I didn't feel confident enough to get them right. I suppose it will come with practice, practice, practice. Progress is slow, but some progress is better than none.

Attached Files:

17. ccharr

ccharr Member

Great looking work getting done, glad to see you back at it, thanks for sharing the photos.

18. Coach529

Coach529 Member

Looks great!!

19. 2OR4Wheels

2OR4Wheels Member

Thanks. Boxing it comes next.

20. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Boxing the whole frame makes a big difference. Mine is boxed front and rear, but I really need to do the middle, as there is a lot of flex there.