1952 Chevy 3600 - Project for me and my boy...

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 2OR4Wheels, Jun 21, 2013.

1. 2OR4Wheels

2OR4Wheels Member

Russ, I am only going to box the rear section. Is the flex in your frame coming from the amount of power (if I remember right, you have a V8?)?

Attached Files:

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

These frames were built to flex, but they benefit greatly from boxing and strengthening....more like a modern truck.

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

As much as I like Stock , seeing the careful and deliberate works you alls do , is interesting and educational , keep it up ! .

4. 2OR4Wheels

2OR4Wheels Member

Thanks guys. Nate, I too do like MOST of original looks. Have upgraded the front brakes to discs(to be safer). Wanted matching bolt pattern for the rear, and the ability to hit the highway if I want, thus the reason for the rear swap. Finally, I do like a lower looking stance, accomplished with the drop axle and rear swap. The interior is staying "original" (or I should say not hot rodded). Keeping the 235 and the sm420. I guess I would call my build a veryyy mild resto-mod. Maybe a few modern amenities such as turn signals, seat belts, Vintage Air AC/heat unit, and an updated radio from RetroSound. Gotta have the air in AZ, and the tunes so the boy and I can jam out while cruising around. :cool:

5. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

someone has a boxed rear frame now..........:D

6. 2OR4Wheels

2OR4Wheels Member

Right! First two pictures are of the boxing. And on that note, I found a couple of the greatest things. So I have plenty of tools, but had never bought a right angle grinder. That coupled with HF's polycarbide abrasive wheels... Awesome for getting the rust off the frame!!! The wire wheel with the drill took a long time and was hard on my hands, and the 4 1/2" grinder with the flapper disc took too much of the metal away. So the next couple of pictures are before and after only 45 minutes of grinding rust off the frame. Oh and the rebuilt and repainted steering gearbox.

Oh, almost forgot. Thanks again Skeeter for doing the welding! :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  7. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

frame is looking good after using that rice crispy lookin wheel. make sure to wear eye protection cause it will come apart and hit your face. as me how i know. im stoked for you dude, i need my own garage so fricken bad

8. 2OR4Wheels

2OR4Wheels Member

Yeah, even with the glasses on, I was flinching, pieces were hitting my face. I'm stoked too, thanks. And I need a bigger garage than what I have. :D

9. RustyDog

RustyDog Member

How did you live without an angle grinder? The tasks you can do with one of those is only limited by your own imagination.

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Frame Boxing & HF's polycarbide abrasive wheels

Boxing the frame makes the truck handle oh so much better , even if it's otherwise totally stock .

THANK YOU for the pix and description of the Harbor Freight Polycarbide wheels , I don't have that much ' OOF ' left in me but I'll see if my Bodyman knows about them as I want my frame 100 % rust free again .

Can they also be used on GM's tin foil fenders & cabs ? (post AD & TF models) .

TIA ,

11. 2OR4Wheels

2OR4Wheels Member

I have no idea. Had an air die grinder, guess I never thought about it. I have already gotten my $15 out of it, that is for sure. Another couple of hours with that baby, and the rear section of the frame will be ready for paint. :cool:

12. 2OR4Wheels

2OR4Wheels Member

I actually took the picture to send to my dad, he is going to pick up 10 more for me from HF (I only bought two over the weekend). :D I went to Tractor Supply and Lowes, and they do not sell these. So far, I can only attest to how it does on the frame (doesn't eat the metal), not on body parts. I will try them soon when I strip the inside of the cab. Will let you know.

13. Elky67

Elky67 Member

Nate, i use them for all panels, fenders, door skins etc. Just be careful and don?t stay to long on one spot, to prevent heat warpage. But they do not eat the steel away, only soft stuff, like lead.

14. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

i have 3 4 1/2 angle grinders, each set up with something and i use the crap out of it. although you used your angle grider to clean the frame before i welded and lit you welding cart on fire.

15. RustyDog

RustyDog Member

Don't leave us hanging, where is the rest of the story? Pictures? LOL

16. 2OR4Wheels

2OR4Wheels Member

LOL! I didnt take any pictures, but... I was moving around the garage trying to finish up my steering gearbox when Skeeter was welding on the frame. He said something was on fire. I had a towel on the bottom shelf of the welding cart, because that it where I lay my welding helmet. Guess a spark went far enough to ignite the towel. :cool: Picked it up and stomped it out. Shit happens, it was only a towel. Guess now is the time to go get a fire extinguisher (in case next time is worse).

17. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

so i finish layin a nice weld bead, look up and went "mmmmm something smells like OHHH SHIT" yea you/we need a fire extinguisher

18. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Fire !

Skeeter ;

I've worked in some really huge heavy duty truck shops and what you're describing isn't all that unusual sad to say :rolleyes: .

As long as no one got hurt and you didn't burn the garage down , good deal .

What's the newest & best in Dry Chem extinguishers ? the old ones made horrible hard to clean up messes .

Halon was a godsend until it turned out if killed people easily & often .

19. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

OH NO, Are we talkin' about fire again? Damon's gonna see this and turn on his siren!!!

20. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Sirens

All this talk makes me feel bad , when I worked in the Dept. Of Airports we had a big pile of old salvage take off sirens that were missing the bells , or the brush bands , little things like that ~ no " Mars" lights , I thought they were trash else someone before me would have grabbed them , all went into our HUGE scrap piles (about the size of a 1,500 S.F. House) and eventually was taken away by the scrap metal contractor .

Oops .

LAX owns a whole lot of vacant properties as it's easier to buy out the stupid whiners who buy near and airport then begin to complain about the noise , once the houses were town down the rest of the local yokels began dumping all manner of trash in the dark , I used to go pick through the pile and drag out VW engines , free no less .

Other Mechanics saved bicycles , lawnmowers and other random junk they liked .