1954 Chevy Hydramatic Transmission Truck Missing Parts

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ssexton1, Sep 14, 2014.

1. ssexton1

ssexton1 Member

As we are getting down to the connection for the 1954 Chevy Hydramatic Transmission we are missing some parts. This is from (1947-54) Factory Assembly Manual

R--Control Shaft Lever
    S--Control Shaft
    U--Control Rod
    Q--Control Shaft Lower Support

Any suggestions as to finding these parts?

2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Sandy, if I were in your shoes, here would be my game plan. First, I'd PM Joe, aka deadzonetruckin on our forum and see if he had the parts, or knew where you could get them. Next, I'd contact Tim Lederman, who, in my opinion is the foremost authority on anything 1954. His website address is http://www.1954advance-design.com/

Good luck!

Ken

3. Greg_H

Greg_H Member

Great advice on both of the contacts. I don't know about Joe (deadzone) having Hydra-matic stuff. Tim will not have extra linkage but can tell you about anything 54 related you want to know. I found mine from Ken Neel near Tulsa OK 1-918-605-2248. Tom Myers In Miami OK is also a good shot. I don't have that phone number but google will get it for you. GMC is different from Chevy linkage so don't fall for anything but the correct parts. One last thought. Patrick's antiques had a 54 H-M truck he blew up and parked according to his wife. Maybe he could be talked out of the linkage. If all of that fails, send me a PM. I have extra linkage but REALLY want to keep it.

4. ssexton1

ssexton1 Member

Thank you Greg. I spoke with Tim last night and I believe he was speaking of you Greg Hill. Tim is a wealth of knowledge regarding the 54's and I have learned so much more. I will call Ken today and look up Patrick's antiques. Tim tells me this are very hard parts to find.

I have found you all have been very nice to help.

Here is the Factory Assembly diagram of the specific parts I need for my 1954 Chevy 3100 with Hydramatic.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1050ucty3h6n3ub/photo 2 Edit.jpg?dl=0

5. Greg_H

Greg_H Member

OK. You are talking about the neutral safety switch mount that clamps around the column in the engine compartment. S is actually the shaft that parallels the steering column. It clamps in the neutral start switch. Again, Chevy and GMC use different setups. Here is Tom Myers contact info also.

Tom Myers Truck Parts

Text Me

Print

Download

Phone Number
    918-542-3871

Address

54460 E 110 Rd

Miami, OK 74354-6060

6. ssexton1

ssexton1 Member

I haven spoken or reached out to all of these with some hopeful luck and encouragement:
    Tim Lederman, Tom Myers, Patrick's Antique Cars & Trucks, Mothertruckeraz, and Transmissions by Gene.

Everyone has been so wonderful!

7. ssexton1

ssexton1 Member

Found an answer from Patrick's antiques

I spoke with Patrick today and after he did some research--he said the exact same parts were used in 53 and 54 powerglides Chevrolet cars. The rod is about three inches shorter in the 54 Hydramatic trucks. Patrick said the part numbers are the same numbers.

Have you heard this before?

--Sandy

8. Greg_H

Greg_H Member

Did not know about the linkage. The shift housing is the same but the lens is different due to gear markings. The Neutral switch bracket is similar but has different detent positions.

9. coilover

coilover Member

Sandy,
    The VW restoration shop just two miles from me gave up on a 54 with a hydramatic because they couldn't find a starter. They probably threw away all the linkage when they went with a V8 but just in case you could call Robert at J&J VW 903-989-2617 and check. Tell him Evan said he is a super pack rat which may save the day. I posted a picture of the brand new 235 engine with the hydramatic attached that they might still have and for which they were asking $400. When they didn't get any takers the engine was put outside so who knows if it's any good now.