1959 ShortBed FleetSide

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by babailey, May 28, 2010.

1. babailey

babailey Member

I have a heavily modified truck that I need some advise about.

It has been lowered 6 inches. This was done by the previous owners and I am not completely certain how the task was accomplished. However, I do know that the rear only has one leaf spring and I think the front has dropped spindles.

So, I would like to eventually be able to tow with this truck and I am looking for suggestions about how I could beef up the rear to accomplish this. I do not intend to tow a big boat or a travel trailer but it would be great to be able to tow a car hauler so I can get both of my trucks to car shows.

Thanks!

P.S. I have been looking at www.airbagit.com and I am not opposed to a full air ride system.

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I've never heard of dropped spindles being available for our trucks.

Does the front end still have a solid front axle? If so, methods for lowering the front would include:
    1. "Dropped" front axle (involves heating and reforming or replacing the I beam axle)
    2. Removing leaves from the front springs.
    3. Replacing the front springs with different springs (maybe single leaf, maybe with the spring eyes wound "backwards").
    4. Moving the axle to mount on top of the springs (see http://thereifixedit.com/ )
    5. Combinations of above.

3. babailey

babailey Member

I do still have the original straight front axle and I doubt that the previous owners/builders tried reforming that axle.

I do only have a single leaf in front and on back and I am not sure if anything has been reverse mounted (I need to spend some time under both of my trucks comparing assembly locations and techniques).

I do plan to go to full IFS on the modified truck soon so the front will eventually be a moot point. However, I am undecided on if I should keep the original (now single leaf) rear setup of if I should replace that with a 4-bar.

I am still thinking air-ride might be an interesting way to go once the IFS is done and I have made a decision about the rear.

4. 55 chevy truck

55 chevy truck Member

i am going with air ride techs triangular 4 link with shockwave air bags in the rear and mustang 2 ifs in the front from fatmans fabrications they make the frame stubs just for 55-59 trucks the ride and handling is out of this world iam actually copying my friends truck who owns a hot rod shop if you wanna see how the truck looks i can send you a pic. i drove the truck and fell in love with way it drove it is amazing . not cheap but worth every penny. by the way thanks for the reply on the suicide hinges i got a shop working on them now. i will let u know how they come out thanks:)

5. babailey

babailey Member

I would love to see pictures.

Keep us all posted on the suicide door project. I would still love to do this just because it is such a striking change.

6. 55 chevy truck

55 chevy truck Member

air ride technologies

here is a pic of the 59 i was telling you about with front and rear air shocks and mustang 2 front ifs. it really is the way to go. the ride and handling is unreal[​IMG]

7. 55 chevy truck

55 chevy truck Member

8. babailey

babailey Member

So, I think I have made my decision ;-).

I am going to install a Mustang II IFS on the front and then use an Air Over Leaf system to allow me to haul stuff and eventually tow.

After I feel more comfortable with Air Suspension, I may convert the front to air ride as well.

9. babailey

babailey Member

P.S. I finally added some pictures of Blue Thunder, check out the link in my signature.