1960 c-30

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by dado, Aug 27, 2011.

1. dado

dado Member

Have a new toy with lock ring rims what will interchange with this 8 lug pattern not messing with the stock rims yes its a dually .:D

2. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Member

Split rims?

Being a trucker, we refer to these as split rims. I would go to a junk yard that has motor homes and get a full set of single piece steel rims. Also get the adapter for the front rim, if you don't have one already. Then you can change the spare for any position. Oh yeah, get a spare rim and tire. so you'll get 7 total.

3. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop Member

any 8 lug wheel should fit

4. rushnbobo

rushnbobo Member

yup, almost all still use the same 8x6.5 pattern ...........except late nineties to present Fords.

Look for the correct hub diameter if you want them to be hubcentric and not lugcentric ......that year should be a Eaton HO72, which is 4.57 in. hub diameter.

5. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Member

a Day Late & a Dollar Short

Well, better late than never. :D

I am posting this afterthought opinion as an education to anyone finding this subject in the future.

I just wanted to add that these split rims are not dangerous to the user or the tire changer, per-sey. What the problem was, that when time marches on, less people are trained in proper safety. Not unlike saying less people are trained in baking grandmas apple pie. It's easier to not think about it and go buy a store bought pie. One piece rims? "Same Same". People, as a group, are getting lazy. But we here in Classic Parts have the drive to know everything about everything as Truck Enthusiasts. :rolleyes:

Tire guys that do not have proper training would not seat the ring and when the tire was inflated to seat the bead... *BOOM* :eek: Ring flyes off and dents idiot tire changers head, sometimes killing him.

Trucks today, from farm trucks to 18-wheelers, still use this type of rim. If anyone wants to keep the split rim look, all you have to do is call a truck tire shop and see if they carry the tires you want. If not, go buy your tires and take the whole mess to a Big Truck truck tire shop (look for "commercial tire shops" in your favorite search engine). They are trained in this type of rim and have car hoists to get your pickup in the air and perform this task safely.

I haven't talked to a tire changer yet that wont talk to you about safety rules for changing tires. At the least you can watch and see how he taps on the ring to seat it etc.

In all practicality, you can change these things yourself. You do have to get a pretty hefty sledge hammer and get in a bit of target practice to not smack and bend your rim while taking off the backside bead :p

I have changed a few tires in my driveway, but that was back when I was 20. Being 50, I'm not going to expend the energy on that. I'll save it for cleaning the pool & stirring up my Gin and Tonic.

My whole point is that these rims were invented and used back in the day when many truck companies and even drivers out on the road somewhere DID have to change their own tires. They are safe if you follow the rules, much like putting gas in your own car is safe IF you follow the rules. Imagine having to put up no smoking signs in a gas station. :confused:

Idiots of the human race aside, running split rims is totally safe and the danger is in the bead seating part of the tire changing procedure.

I ran split rims on my 1963 IH pickup for years without a problem. I have them on my '64 C-20 and I'm leaving them there. If you want a heavy duty/vintage look to your rig, I'd leave them on.

Ciao

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012