2 side bed rails

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ronaldg, Oct 25, 2011.

1. ronaldg

ronaldg Member

can someone send pics and tell me how you attatch side bed rails on a 50 halfton Ive heard tach weld and also just attached by 2 fender bolts whitch is it please help.

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Actually, both. Factory spot welded them, and 2 fender bolts go right through them. Mine were bolted when I got it, it pulls away a bit and flexes. I would spot them unless you have a nice paintjob already.

I think most people who tell you to just bolt them are thinking of the stainless side strips. These go OVER the steel strips spot welded to the bed sides.

3. ronaldg

ronaldg Member

side rails

thanks ol chebby thats what i will do i got the side rails polished steel and the rails stainless how did you tach weld im not much of a welder but would like to know how you did it thanks again

4. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

If you don't have the steel bed side rails, order a pair. You can probably see where they used to be spot welded to the sides. Take the new rails and drill them approximately every 6 inches. Line them up on the sides and clamp them down, then fill the holes with a MIG welder. A little practice will show you when to stop. You can gring if you ned to. Now paint, then install your bed wood and stinless strips.