49 GMC Progress Report

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by e015475, Jun 20, 2015.

1. e015475

e015475 Member

Some progress to report.

Running boards are on.............. the passenger side rear fender had a rust repair around the bolt holes to the running board, so I still need to drill the holes for the fender to attach to the board.
    [​IMG]
    Wyatt was over and made the repro bumper apron fit pretty good. Embarrassed to admit I'd installed the bumper irons one inside the frame rail and the other outside the frame rail and once he'd figured out what I'd done things started to come together. Still going to have to cut at least on of the brackets off the repo part to get to the final fit. Bought some repo headlight buckets - same story; they fit the body fine, but there's no clips to hold the trim ring on so I'll have to modify them.
    [​IMG]

Slipped the rebuilt instruments into the dash to see how they're going to look. The cluster bezel was crimped so tight that just handling the cluster cracked the glass - I had an extra so I replaced the bezel and the glass and installed it in the truck. The speedometer glass fell out when I took it out of the box to install it in the dash - the bezel wasn't crimped to the housing at all. Luckily it didn't break, and I put it back together and crimped it correctly. So I'm 2 for 2 on gauges so far. I know, I know..... stop your bitching and be grateful you can even get parts for this old truck. Here's the gauges............
    [​IMG]

Best wishes to everyone for a great 2018

Phil

RidesWithYah and Bilbo like this.
  2. e015475

e015475 Member

Slowed down by kids and cars - seems like I'm the go-to family mechanic. One of the girls has been so busy with work and school she forgot to change the timing belt but now she's back on the road. Didn't bend any valves but it wouldn't get past about 60% on a leak-down test, so off with the head and down to the machine shop.
    [​IMG]
    Back on working on the bear claw latches for the doors. Replaced all the home-made clevises with miniature rod ends to take up some of the slop in the linkage
    [​IMG]

Working on the door relay mechanism now so the door opens when you pull the handle back and locks when you push the handle forward. Also took the repo door handles apart and bushed them so the handle wouldn't rotate on the spherical joint as you pulled down the outside lever to open the door. Everything is pretty tight and you can open the door with one finger now

For the locks on the outside, I'm going to have to rely on a solenoid to actuate the lock lever on the bear-claw. I should be able to open the truck with either the key fob or the lock on the passenger door. Here's the way I plan to actuate the door locks with the key - two micro-switches actuated by the factory passenger door lock.

[​IMG]

Here's the door skin side of the mechanism

[​IMG]

Will have a cable backup in the wheel-well somewhere in case the battery is dead or the mechanism jams.

Phil

3. e015475

e015475 Member

Per Robert's request on details of the Jag IFS front shock tower.............
    [​IMG]

4. Zig

Zig Member

90574A24-BB91-4BCB-B9B3-E77BD939EAD9.jpeg Well how is that beautiful GMC coming along?
    G fan, ya know.

5. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

That hood closes real nice Paul.

6. Zig

Zig Member

B035AAF8-D237-4D54-BAA6-4E43A6CF402C.jpeg Thanks, Bill. I like how it also shows the “straight from the gun to you” paint job.
    Man, with these iPhones you can really zoom in on a photo! (I guess the same is true with a laptop.)
    Anyway, the front is okay, the other end is another story!

7. e015475

e015475 Member

Back from Kauai so I guess it is time to start working of car projects again.

First order of business is to clean the shop and see if I can find my car keys- they've been missing almost two months now. I can see the tops of my workbenches now, but so far, no keys.

The Hydroboost brake booster I'd mounted under the cab floor was very close to the headers. so I made a bracket to move the master and the Hydroboost back about fifteen inches. Here's the new frame rail bracket ready to TIG together - note the very 'state of the art' CAD (cardboard aided design) prototype held together with blue painter's tape in the background. The linkage here is just the two ends of the shaft and there's a 12" rod to remote actuate the brakes. Tried to get some good pictures from underneath the truck, but no luck. I took about 4" out of the arc of the brake pedal to get it a little closer to the floor and a little more room for my big feet down there. Bought a Chinese gas pedal that actuates the cable for the throttle that I hope to disguise with a factory pedal cover - will post some pics.
    [​IMG]
    Welded up a spritzed with chassis black
    [​IMG]
    I left the clutch master on the pedal assembly

[​IMG]

When I had the brake booster mounted up on the pedal assembly, I had essentially the same pedal ratio as stock, and my fear was that it'd have too high a ratio and the brakes would be twitchy. I cut the arm off the stock pedal and re-welded it to get the recommended ratio. The only problem now is that to fill the reservoir I need to remove the seat base to get to it. Oh well.

I ordered an aluminum radiator for my truck last Thanksgiving, and this finally arrived in early March. The invoice said it was for a GMC, but the configuration was clearly Chevy and I sent it back. Another month later, another radiator arrived, this time with a GMC gooseneck filler and rounded top tank, but with Chevy mounting flanges again! Sent it back too and asked for the money back. Looking for a good source for the GMC radiator if anybody knows one.

[​IMG]

Had enough of working on the house and kid's cars and I'm vacationed out, so I'm going to work at Wyatt's place a couple of days a week working on the truck and MG till I can't stand the heat this summer. Next order of business is to paint the Cadillac steering wheel for the truck so I can send it out to be leather wrapped and get going on the truck interior.

That's about it. Damn, I wish I knew where my keys were.

8. Zig

Zig Member

Sorry to hear about the runaround you had with the radiator, but I sure am glad to hear (especially SEE) your back to work creating cool stuff for that awesome G of yours!
    I can’t wait to see the interior all finished.

9. e015475

e015475 Member

The interior is going to be tricky. The wife thinks she's the final word in how the interior is going to look, but she mostly knows what she doesn't like and isn't very helpful in telling me what she wants, except to say she really likes the tan interior in her daily driver.

I had the seat done at one time and ended up selling it on CL - have to start over

10. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

I think they all come programmed like that...

Steve.