49 GMC Progress Report

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by e015475, Jun 20, 2015.

  1. e015475

    e015475 Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2014
    Messages:
    146
    Location:
    Phoenix AZ
    Some progress to report.

    Running boards are on.............. the passenger side rear fender had a rust repair around the bolt holes to the running board, so I still need to drill the holes for the fender to attach to the board.
    [​IMG]
    Wyatt was over and made the repro bumper apron fit pretty good. Embarrassed to admit I'd installed the bumper irons one inside the frame rail and the other outside the frame rail and once he'd figured out what I'd done things started to come together. Still going to have to cut at least on of the brackets off the repo part to get to the final fit. Bought some repo headlight buckets - same story; they fit the body fine, but there's no clips to hold the trim ring on so I'll have to modify them.
    [​IMG]

    Slipped the rebuilt instruments into the dash to see how they're going to look. The cluster bezel was crimped so tight that just handling the cluster cracked the glass - I had an extra so I replaced the bezel and the glass and installed it in the truck. The speedometer glass fell out when I took it out of the box to install it in the dash - the bezel wasn't crimped to the housing at all. Luckily it didn't break, and I put it back together and crimped it correctly. So I'm 2 for 2 on gauges so far. I know, I know..... stop your bitching and be grateful you can even get parts for this old truck. Here's the gauges............
    [​IMG]

    Best wishes to everyone for a great 2018

    Phil
     
    RidesWithYah and Bilbo like this.
  2. e015475

    e015475 Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2014
    Messages:
    146
    Location:
    Phoenix AZ
    Slowed down by kids and cars - seems like I'm the go-to family mechanic. One of the girls has been so busy with work and school she forgot to change the timing belt but now she's back on the road. Didn't bend any valves but it wouldn't get past about 60% on a leak-down test, so off with the head and down to the machine shop.
    [​IMG]
    Back on working on the bear claw latches for the doors. Replaced all the home-made clevises with miniature rod ends to take up some of the slop in the linkage
    [​IMG]

    Working on the door relay mechanism now so the door opens when you pull the handle back and locks when you push the handle forward. Also took the repo door handles apart and bushed them so the handle wouldn't rotate on the spherical joint as you pulled down the outside lever to open the door. Everything is pretty tight and you can open the door with one finger now

    For the locks on the outside, I'm going to have to rely on a solenoid to actuate the lock lever on the bear-claw. I should be able to open the truck with either the key fob or the lock on the passenger door. Here's the way I plan to actuate the door locks with the key - two micro-switches actuated by the factory passenger door lock.

    [​IMG]

    Here's the door skin side of the mechanism

    [​IMG]

    Will have a cable backup in the wheel-well somewhere in case the battery is dead or the mechanism jams.

    Phil
     
  3. e015475

    e015475 Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2014
    Messages:
    146
    Location:
    Phoenix AZ
    Per Robert's request on details of the Jag IFS front shock tower.............
    [​IMG]
     

Share This Page