5 window or 3 window?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Kens 50 PU, May 20, 2011.

?

5 window or 3 window

Poll closed May 30, 2011.
  1. 5 window or nue-view!

13 vote(s)
    61.9%
  2. 3 window or no vue!

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. either/or

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

I'm curious as to which cab ya'll like best! Be honest and let's see! I know Nate's vote already! Nue view or no vue!

2. ronaldg

ronaldg Member

new view

I like new view better obvious reason i can see better out of them 2nd thats what i have.

3. coilover

coilover Member

For driving the 5 window, for looks the 3 window. As my sheet metal man said as he was filling in the corner holes on his personal 54, "aint gonna have something with a JC Whitney add a window kit on it". That said, I'd bet the poll is going to favor the 5 window at least 3 to 1.

4. spika

spika Member

gotta be a 5

Aww, ya just can't beat the classy look of that curved glass...

5. Zig

Zig Member

Had to go 5 window, now that I have one. For "zoomzoom" look, I'd go with three.

6. Zig

Zig Member

Good call!

This is what I was trying to say in my first post. Three window just looks tough. :cool:

7. denisf

denisf Member

5 view

I regularly get comments on the 5 windows, unique and classy.

8. federale

federale Member

I really like the look of the 5 window, but I just happened to end up with a 3 window.

9. gypsy truck

gypsy truck Member

hands down: 5 for me

Personally, i love the overall design of these AD trucks either way, far and away better than anything else before or since by any manufacturer. However, when you compare the 5 to 3 window, the 5 window really steps it all up a couple of notches in the design department. Very classy in my opinion. BUT i would still never say no to a 3 window. I say to each his own and if you are out there looking and you find one - either one - and you are ready, then go for it. (even if it is a 4 window!)

Now, Evan - what does this mean????
    Can someone school me please? I always thought that the 5 window nue-view cab was added in '53? directly from GM as a design enhancement, not some after-market item? what up with that?

Oh, and my guess on the poll is more like 9:1 in favor of the 5 window (it is currently 8:1). ANYBODY i talk to and tell them i have an old truck- they ask if it is the 5 window kind - they know!

10. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Gypsy, rear corner windows, or nue view as GM promoted them, were RPO's available from '47 thru '55 first series. I could get just the rear corner windows if they wanted to or they could order the deluxe cab option and get the rear corner windows as well as the chrome grille, stainless steel trim on the inside and outside of the door windows, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if J.C. Whitney sold a knock-off version, they sold everything else!:D

11. coilover

coilover Member

I think I can clarify for Gypsy Truck. Smooth flowing lines are the goal for serious sheet metal design people. Of course my man knows the five window is a factory design but so is the 4-6-8 Cadillac engine and the Yugo. He desires the smooth curve from the door opening to the rear window with no knobby dips or protrusions in between. Function, like better visibility, takes a back seat to form for these people. JC Whitney in the early years supplied the market with raccoon tails for antennas, hula girls for rear view mirrors, head bobbing poodles for the rear package shelf, etc. In other words, tacky add ons. As stated, every one has their preference and this is as it should be.

12. federale

federale Member

The coolest "accessory" I remember was one my aunt had in her 53 Buick. A small traffic light that hung in the back window and worked in conjunction with the brake lights. LOL

13. Scubanero

Scubanero Member

The first CHMSL?

14. vegaskenn

vegaskenn Member

I like my three window but you do have to be careful when changing lanes for sure!

15. federale

federale Member

Wow she didn't knoiw she was starting a worldwide trend !:eek::)

16. spika

spika Member

Ken, you're a doggon wealth of information. Thats part of why I love this place...never know what you might learn next!!!

17. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Nu-Vue

This popular option was heavily pushed by GM as a safety item and if you look in older photos , you'll often see it on yard goats and OTR rigs , much more so than pickups .

I like to drive in the desert a lot so for me , this is an un tenable item as my neck gets all sun burned and after a long day of swimming in the sand under junkers , the last thing I want is hot sun on my neck .