'51 Steering column color

Discussion in 'Paint & Body' started by Haasman, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Haasman

Haasman Member

Can anybody tell me the original color of my 1951 3100 steering column? Get ready to paint it.

Are there rattle cans that come close?

Thanks

Haasman

2. Haasman

Haasman Member

Someone just old me that the steering columns were painted the same color as the dash from the factory on the '51 3100 pickups. Is that right?

Haasman

3. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Not so. Our host sells the steering wheel paint, which matches the column. See page 29 of their catalog. The interior cab paint is on page 28. There's an old post about a rattle can close match on the interior color, but I don't recall seeing anything on the steering wheel/column color. I hope this helps.

4. reinaldo

reinaldo Member

So what exactly is the column color??

5. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

This is as good as it gets...

11-06-2010, 06:47 PM #5
    Kens 50 PU

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Notice I said colors! There are a minimum of 2 colors used for the interior, 3 if you have a heater. The interior is painted in 1 color. I've heard it called "sheen grey metallic" as Russ said. I've also heard it referred to as "Champagne". Both are the same and both can be purchased from our host, CP, and/or Jim Carter. It is a semi-flat, semi-metallic paint. I bought mine from CP and was very impressed with it.

The next interior paint is for the steering wheel, steering column and gear shift. It has more gloss and less metallic than the interior paint. It too is available from both CP and JC.

Now, for the 3rd color. If you have a heater, it is painted a different color than the interior and the steering wheel/column/shifter. It is a slightly different shade and has a slightly "hammered" finish.

Keep on posting pics! They are really cool and we all love to critique!

Ken

6. Haasman

Haasman Member

Interior paint color sheen ...

From looking at the old paint in my truck, it looks like the paint is not a gloss but something like a satin?

What brought this up was one weekend while working on the interior I got a ton of sun reflection off the dash. Made me think.

Anybody know or have suggestions?

Haasman