'59 Apache rubber door bumper placement

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by jinaeve, Jan 5, 2015.

1. jinaeve

jinaeve Member

All, I'm going to install the rubber semi-cone shaped bumpers on the left and right doors but don't have any that I'm replacing and the original small stem holes have been filled in. Does anyone have guidance or references they can point me to that I can use to guide me?

Thanks!
    Jim Naeve

2. JIMnWV

JIMnWV Member

With the original holes filled in, you are just needing a point of reference as to where new holes need to be drilled so you can install new door bumpers, Correct?

3. jinaeve

jinaeve Member

Yep, but also, I got this kit that provides 3 bumpers of varying sizes and shapes. There is one thats taller than the other two and has a conical shape. The second is shorter but a similar conical shape then the 3rd is more of a uniform button shape that I'm assuming goes somewhere on the A pillar. I think the taller of the 3 goes on the B pillar upper corner (not worried about accuracy, more about placement) The second one goes on the bottom corner and not real sure where the 3rd one goes.

Any assistance you can provide would be very much appreciated!

4. JIMnWV

JIMnWV Member

Someone may help you before I get them but I have a couple parts trucks that are basically junk to a point, I will check them for placement and try to load up a couple pics for you.

5. jinaeve

jinaeve Member

I had a hard time finding any feedback as to where to place these and one evening, just decided to take the plunge and pop them in where I think they need to go. As it turned out, very coincidentally, the holes I drilled was nearly identical to where they were supposed to go as they had been bondo filled before the paint job.

The larger of the gumdrop bumpers goes into the upper right corner of the driver door opening, about 1" to the left and 1" down, thats where the hole needs to be. Just the opposite on the passenger side.

The smaller gumdrop bumper goes into the bottom left corner of the drivers door. There's a flat area there and the bumper goes in about 3/4" from the left edge to the right and about 1-3/4" up from the bottom edge.

The flat round disk like bumper goes into the door edge just opposite the vent window about half way down.

I installed all three bumpers into each door - WOW! what a difference that made!!

I'll get some photos of where they ended up and send them out at some point, maybe it will help others in the same predicament.