6 to 12 volt conversion question

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Tailgater, Oct 2, 2006.

1. ccharr

ccharr Member

Had the 48 registered as a 47 on the freeway today up around 60. about ready to convert the 6 to 12 .

Bolt action ___________25/06-30/06-44/40

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using a stovebolt in good firing order action is nice, however getting my 47 over 60 is my target.

2. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

I have an H&R 25-06 that is a sweet firing single shot that breaks down like a shotgun. I have it specifically for coyote hunting so I figure if I don't get them with the first shot they are long gone anyway.

As far as 60 mph goes, I can't wait to get my 47 that is registered as a 48 out there and see what it can do with a 4.10 rear ratio. It came with a 5.17 I think. The change should make a big diff but I won't know till I get it back from the paint shop.

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

O.K. then .

What size are your rear tires ? it really does make more differance than most people realize .

4. ccharr

ccharr Member

6/12 volt conv.

Is your 48 a 1/2, 3/4, or 1 ton?
    Have you switched it over to 12 volt?

A 22/250 single action which breaks down like a shotgun also a good varmit tool.

5. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Mine is a 1 ton 3800 pickup. Yes, it has been 12 volt for a while but it has been sitting in the basement a long time. I am just now getting it roadworthy and was worried about burning something up that was only rated for 6 volt.

Nate, I am not sure about the tires cause the ones I have on now are just roll arounds till I get it back from the shop and can choose a tire wheel combo. I know that the steering arm is so close to the drum that I will have to take that into account. I want a nice aluminum or chrome set of 8 lugs but haven't started looking yet.

Does anyone have experience with purchasing chrome or aluminum for an 8 lug 47 - 54? If so, I would like to know the brand. Also, Nate, what would you suggest for a tire height to get the best mpg?

6. ccharr

ccharr Member

6/12 volt conv.

Nate,
    235/70R16s, that speed was going Down the Simi Grade on the 118, the odometer was reading 70+ midhill :eek: , engine powered the odometer read 65+ on the flat land.

7. ccharr

ccharr Member

6/12 change out

Tailgater,
    My 3800 had 235/70R16s on billet aluminum 8 lug rims, the inside of the rim state MAXWHEEL 16X7JJ -6, offset 1/4, Dot-T made in Taiwan. Nice looking rims with simulated rivets. Do not know the brand they were sold under. The guy I bought it from in South Dakota hasn’t answered an email since I picked it up there. When ever I learn to copy and paste photos I’ll put some up of it. Hope this helps some.

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Correct Radial Tires

Dang ! I don't have my truck here at the moment , if you look in the archives it's postedthere many many times over as it's a hot topic .

IIRC , the outer diameter of my tires is about 29".....

Getting the _tallest_ tire you can will increase both top speed -and- fuel economy at some cost in acelleration but if you're driving a 57 year old 6 banger pickup truck , this shouldn't bother you much .

I pass a lotta folks in my '49 replete with mystery ' rebuilt ' (un-huh) 235 ;)

9. SPD4320@MCHSI.C

SPD4320@MCHSI.C Member

I have a "new" 54 chevy truck that I want to convert to 12v. I am told the wiring is ok as is and that I need to change bulbs, battery, ignition coil, alternator, and put a reducer on the wiper motor. From previous posts sounds like a gas guage reducer, heater motor resistor, and solenoid for bendix are needed. Anything I am missing? There is no fuse box, do I need one, if so do I need to rewire? Thanks in advance for your help!!!

10. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

One thing for sure. The gas gauge will last less than a millosec if you put 12 volt to it. Just don't ask me how I know. :eek:
    Gater

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

6 To 12 Volts

No , you're not missing anything .

No neex to re0wire as the 6 volt wiring is heavier than the 12 volt wiring is.

The fusrbox is a maybe thing ~ the headlights are protected by a circuit breaker built into the headlight switch .

I've had lots of oldies without fuses..

-Nate

12. Zig

Zig Member

Now that our host sells them, you could just put a 6 to 12 volt booster on what you need to be 12 v.