63 Panel Sheetmetal

Discussion in 'Paint & Body' started by Red06, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Red06

Red06 Member

I've got a 63 1/2 ton Panel and am needing some patch panels in front of and behind the rear wheels.Do I need to get these for a short bed pick up or long bed,since no one makes these for a panel.Thanks

2. Reinovator

Reinovator Member

If these are small patches try making them using the same gauge steel , the patches, your self.
    If your not comfortable doing this go ahead and cut up a long bed, but beware behind the wheel well there will be small changes in the curve because of the length of the panel don't cut out your bed until your sure of the fit. I use Cleco pins to help with the fitting I really like the quick ability to change the fit. then I remove the panel grind the metal on both sides check the fit again clean up the edges if necessary swear at the world for interrupting me for the 50th time step back double check my double check and weld it in.

some times making your own patch panels can be more rewarding than buying them,,,,,,,,and then again may be not, it can be very nerve racking. in my case chasing tools around the shop. Although from your shots you my enjoy making your own.

good luck and have fun:cool::cool:

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  3. dcsi5919

dcsi5919 Member

'60-'66 Chevy Panels were available in swb (115"), lwb (127") & extended wheel base (133"), so, depending on the Panel you have, the fleetside bed panels are fabricated accordingly. If you have a swb Panel, purchase or cut panels from a swb fleetside bed side, etc.