'66 Front End Ball Joints

Discussion in 'Forum Questions & Suggestions' started by csumjr, Oct 30, 2008.

1. csumjr

csumjr Member

I am converting over to disc brake front end. I want a fresh start. What is the EASIEST way to remove/replace the ORIGINAL ball joints?

2. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

if you have access to, or have a local parts store that rents tools, get a ball joint tool to press them in, its the only way to go. grind the rivet heads off your origanal uppers, then bolt in the new ones.

3. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Kustom has it right. The uppers, if original, will be riveted in. Ues an angle grinder to take the heads off the rivet then center punch them out.
    The lowers are pressed in like Kustom said. The removal/installation tool can be rented. Some parts stores may be able to lend you the tool, if you purchase the ball joints from them.

If you can afford it and want to start really fresh, budget in an idler arm, control arm bushings and outer tie rod ends.. You will not believe the difference !!! It's like climbing into a NEW truck.

Val

4. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

For sure!!

5. csumjr

csumjr Member

Ball Joints

Thanks guys....an old guy around the corner told me to do the same thing Kustom suggested. I'll keep you posted as to Frankenstien's progress.:)