700R4 shifting.....

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by sinerasis, Dec 5, 2006.

1. sinerasis

sinerasis Member

I've noticed a change in my shifting and I wanted to consult people before I do something like burn a tranny...

While in drive it seems like it wants to get to 3rd gear as quick as possible... you can romp on the gas and it will downshift like its supposed to, but without doing so it moves through the gears very quickly.

While in overdrive the same thing happens and it always wants to lockup, and the way its setup pressing the brakes is supposed to make it come out of lockup. It doesn't sound like its doing that, however you can make it come out of lockup by romping on the gas. I have checked the wire that comes from the fuse block and its still connected. I have checked the hose that does the kickdown that connects behind the carb, its still connected.

I have checked the trans fluid, it seems to be fine. If anything its more than full. How important is it that it not be overfull? Should I consider draining a little?

I haven't actually crawled under yet, but does it sound like it could be something like linkage? maybe a wire or another simple fix that has come undone? Could it just need to be adjusted so make the shift points a little more normal?

I didn't personally put the 700R4 in, so I'm not real familiar with it...

On another note, at the same time I have noticed that 1st and 2nd gear (when they actually get used) seem to be much louder. I'm not sure if this is related, it does not sound like gear noise... just like the exhaust is off for the first couple gears... it doesn't really make any sense to me. 3rd gear sounds the way it always did. I'm going to look for leaks and make sure everything is tight (I already checked the header bolts and they are fine).

Anyone have suggestions for what I should look for for any or all of these symptoms?

2. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Well I stoped read ing after you siad it over the full mark is that with the eigne hot and running.? yes it can make the trans shift strange, can cause the fluid to foam have shifting problems that would be the first thing to take care of then test go from there.

Do you know if the dip stick is the right one for the trans. What yr is the trans about 87 and down or newer, the newer one it might be cpu modual gone bad for the trans bad wire connection to the tran or modual.
    Maybe fluid gone bad time for filter fluid.

3. sinerasis

sinerasis Member

There is no control module to my knowledge, so I guess it's an older trans. I'll go ahead and get some of the fluid out of there and see what happens. I double checked that all the other connections were indeed connected and I didn't see anything that struck me as strange.

The guy who put the trans in knows what he's doing so I'd be suprised if it's the wrong dipstick. I'd ask him but he's across the country. The fluid level is just over the hatch marks by about a finger or so while the engine is warmed up and at idle.

While under the truck I found that the passenger side collector bolts had rattled loose, explaining the change in volume. So I guess that's good that it's not related.

I'll post an update later.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  4. sinerasis

sinerasis Member

I went and bought some new bolts for the collectors, tightened them up real well and all the problems went away. Lack of backpressure makes the engine load go crazy? That's all I can think of...

I went ahead and got the trans fluid level to the right spot anyways. Shifting perfect again. Lockup is working like it should also.

I like it when its something simple. :)

5. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Unfortunatly I don't have a difinative answer for you. It MAY be related to the TV cable settings. It could be a sign of something else too.

I recommend you read this http://www.tvmadeez.com/ first to educate yourself. Read all the technical information in TV 101 http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php and then make a decision if you think it could be the TV cable.

The final answer for you just might be to take it to a " compentent " transmission shop that is familiar with the 700 R4 and get a professional diagnosis. One thing I can tell you is that if the TV cable is out of proper adjustment it will fry the trans in a very short time.

Good luck,

Val

6. sinerasis

sinerasis Member

Good reading, thanks for the links. :) I like how the site actually uses a picture now and then to explain something. I think my TV Cable is setup correctly. :)