72 c10 suspension

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by c10ironhead, Jan 1, 2015.

1. c10ironhead

c10ironhead Member

Can someone please help? I have a 72 c10 with what seems to be Xtra heavy duty suspension. All front end parts I've replaced are larger than normal, bearings, rotors, calipers. Now I'm working on upper control arm bushings. So I'm figuring out that control arms are larger also, I think. Stock bushings are a nut that threads into bushing. What I have has a large washer holding bushings in place. Stock contol arm shaft is approximately 9 1/4". Mine is 14 1/4" long. I don't know if it was possible to install a different vehicles front end in the truck. Does anyone have any idea what I'm up against?

Attached Files:

2. c10ironhead

c10ironhead Member

My parts my have come from 73 c20, or 85 monte carlo.

3. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

How about posting more photos Ironhead. You have non OEM looking pieces parts from what can be seen in the above photos.

4. c10ironhead

c10ironhead Member

Here's a couple of bad pics. All I have.

Attached Files:

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Later Suspension Parts

I see you've already figured this out so forge ahead ! .

Keep adding to the same threads , not beginning many new ones for the same subject .

6. vernantweed

vernantweed Member

Lowering a custom camper C20

Ill start off by saying im new to the world of car mods and restoration. I bought a 1972 C20 custom camper last summer and started working. I am in Canada but the truck is out of Virginia and in pretty good shape. Very little surface rust on the frame and thats about it. Ive watched a lot of shows on building cars but this is my first attempt at doing it myself. Im an electrician so im very comforatable with tools and my dad has a decent knowledge of cars. anyway enough about me.

So I've been following a few threads on how to lower a C20 with leaf springs. Ill start by saying i have no desire to haul anything in the future. Basically just building a cool looking classic truck. I decided that the best solution for now is probably a flip kit. I took a look at my leaf springs yesterday and it appears that because i have a custom camper there is an additional leaf pack mounted inside the regular leaf spring that appears to only be in use when the truck is loaded down. Im wondering if I can remove that extra leaf pack with no consequence to make room for the flip kit. I dont have any pictures yet but I will take some tonight and post tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone has already run into this problem.

7. mikiesride

mikiesride Member

Not to offend you but it looks like a Junk Yard Dog type of deal, the no grease fittings are a give away. Your 2nd pic shows the correct upper control A arm shaft that does have grease fittings.

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

He does mention it's not a stock setup.....