81 rebuild

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by chevy girl, Dec 8, 2004.

1. babyblue81

babyblue81 Member

I know exactly what it is!!! Mine does the same thing. Here's what you should do. With your engine not hot (meaning you haven't started it overnight or something - it has to be more than about 7 hours) take off the air filter and look at the carb. There is a choke plate that should be flat face down. Then you should start the truck. The choke plate SHOULD, after a few minutes, turn to the upright position. If it does not, or gets halfway stuck, you're running rich, and you are not getting enough air to the engine, making it surge. Hope that helps!!!!

2. chevy girl

chevy girl Member

I decided to look at the spark plugs this afternoon because I couldn't remember the last time they had been replaced. The first two I pulled out were covered in so much carbon and oil there was NO possible way they could have been firing. I haven't run him yet- I'm also working on his distributor. Thanks yall!! :7

3. chevy girl

chevy girl Member

Solved the 'surging' problem:

This past weekend, I changed the spark plugs, and replaced the distributor and striker. Boomer's running beautifully. Ok- This may sound simple to most of yall, but it was a small challenge to me because I've never done it. I'm quite proud of myself. I even got the spark plug wires back on correctly.

Just wanted to keep who ever is keeping up with this up-to-date. :7
    Thanks yall!

4. Old77

Old77 Member

Good job on that, Chevy Girl. I'm glad that you got that problem fixed. I've been doing a lot of work my '77 these days, also. I'm currently trying to put in some '02 Silverado seats and it's requiring some pretty big modifications to the floor of my cab. So right now we've got holes cut in so that we can lower the floor where the seat sits. While we're there, we're replacing the part of the floor where your feet seat as the driver's side was badly repaired at some point in the past. So it's been a pretty big undertaking so far. We're also replacing the inner rocker panels on both sides, but we're finally passed the point of cutting out all the bad stuff and starting to weld in the good stuff. It'll be really cool when it's done but is a long process. Especially when you have a life outside of the truck as well:)

Continue to keep us update on your truck, Chevy Girl!!:) As you do major stuff, you might send us pics of the truck periodically:)

5. chevy girl

chevy girl Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-16-05 AT 05:50 PM (CST)]It's been a while since I've been able to really do some work on my truck, but a friend of mine came down for the weekend and we attacked my truck.
    I wanted to pull up the carpet and see what kind of shape the floor boards were in. We pulled out the seat, and all the crap that was under it (obviously). When we finaly pulled up the carpet I found an Army issued survival knife from 1986! I was shocked.

The original carpet looked OK. The underside was decent, and so was the insulation/padding under it. I figured we could just clean the old carpet and put it back into my truck. While attempting to clean it, we found small holes and tears- which got larger the more we cleaned. After searching around town, we found replacement carpet, and put it in.

What started as a simple plan turned into a 6 hour ordeal. It looks so much better now.

I also pulled the chrome cover on the tailgate. (I'm not into lots of chrome on a truck.) I have always wanted to get a tailgate that said GMC, and when we pulled the cover off--- on the left side was GMC. I was excited- and over 3 little letters no less!

Here are some pictures of the carpet- before and after, and of my tailgate
    Attachments:
    https://talk.classicparts.com/images/attachments/4238c5110870673b.jpghttps://talk.classicparts.com/images/attachments/4238c53408b068cc.jpghttps://talk.classicparts.com/images/attachments/4238c65008b0702c.jpg

6. Old77

Old77 Member

That's cool!!:) You should have shown us pics of how the floor board looked before you put the carpet back in. though:) I just got done replacing the floor boards in my '77. That was a pretty big project as we had to replace the inner rockers along with the floor braces. Now, we're redoing the floor that is under the seat so that we can fit some '02 Silverado seats in there. It's turning out to be very cool:) Keep getting us pics of your progress!!:) Isn't it exciting to do these build-ups?:)

7. chevy girl

chevy girl Member

I know! I thought of taking more pictures after we had the new carpet in. I have one picture, it isn't very good, but I'll post it anyways! Oh, thankfully the floor under your feet was replaced and was in great condition! :7
    Attachments:
    https://talk.classicparts.com/images/attachments/4239abdd01e01bb0.jpghttps://talk.classicparts.com/images/attachments/4239abfc08b01baa.jpghttps://talk.classicparts.com/images/attachments/4239ac1408b01ff6.htmlhttps://talk.classicparts.com/images/attachments/4239ac2c08b02026.jpg

8. chevy girl

chevy girl Member

New problem-- (of course)-- The other day while I was out driving my truck, he started to backfire, and pop. I'm thinking the gasket around the carb is pinched. At least that's what I'm hoping!

Any other possible places that could be making him backfire?

9. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

One word. TIMING

DVal

10. chevy girl

chevy girl Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-02-05 AT 08:26 PM (CST)]My dad and I thought about timing too, but he ruled it out after I explained when it backfired.

I should add that it JUST stared this crap too.

11. 85Silverado

85Silverado Member

Had the same problem and fixed it today - First, I replaced distributor cap, then all the plugs, then the wires. No more popping now!

http://my85silverado.tripod.com/

12. chevy girl

chevy girl Member

I already have replaced the distributor cap, plugs and wires a few weeks ago. I don't think that is why he's popping.

85Silverado-- NICE truck! :7

13. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Since you just replaced the distributor cap, plug wires, etc...

Go back and look at those again. Make sure that the new cap isn't cracked, make sure the rotor is not broke, or cracked. Make sure that the plug wires are all inserted into the cap fully, and are not arcing.

Backfireing and pop-back through the carb are almost always retlated to timing..

DV

14. sidewynder

sidewynder Member

Didn't see if the fuel guage thing got straightened out or not. If memory serves me correctly, check your wiring between the sending unit and the guage (and switch). A broken wire will send the guage to full scale. If wiring is good, then check the sending unit as mentioned earlier

15. chevy girl

chevy girl Member

I'm going to check the wiring to the fuel tanks tomorrow. -- Hopefully it will be something simple, but like the rest of this truck- it probably won't be! :p

16. chevy girl

chevy girl Member

I was tinkering with my engine today, and decided to pull out the # 1 and 3 spark plugs. They are COVERED in oil and build up. I'd say 90% is oil, the rest is grainy crap. I replaced them back in February, and can't believe they look like this now! 2 months!! I'm a little upset. I'm not sure how the others look, but # 1 and 3 were the worst when I replaced them before.

My truck started that jerking thing again too. I agree it could be the timing, but I can't work on it till next weekend, so he is a parking lot ordament (sp) for another week. Could his timing have somehting to do with the cruddy spark plugs??

I plan to take him up to Altus the first weekend in May, for the local cruise they put on, and run him with open headers.(Kyle is supposed to put them on for the cruise)I'm hoping to have him running properly by then. :D

17. eugene68

eugene68 Member

hello chevy girl.
    if your plugs are that messed up already, it sounds like you are going to need an overhaul or rebuild pretty soon.. the only thing that will get them all oily and carboned up is poor oil control in your engine. you are most likely looking at worn rings or valve guides at the least. If you have to build the engine, do it before you paint the truck that way you won't mess up your new paint.
    Hope I haven't ruined your day, but from the looks of all the pictures, the truck looks like it deserves to be take care of.

eugene

18. 81 BLAZER

81 BLAZER Member

I personally would go with an aftermarket gauge! I do on all my rigs... just because they are more accurate and trustworthy. but until then make sure to listen to your engine, any tapping sounds and shuter down or you will be doing a rebuild on the engine too....