Aligning the Hood for a 1954

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ssexton1, Mar 2, 2015.

1. ssexton1

ssexton1 Member

How difficult is it to get the hood to shut a latch without wobbling while shutting or latching it completely without gaps?

2. Zig

Zig Member

Good luck on no gaps~ I think that is part of each trucks uniqueness. That's something I need to work on mine some more, however. It will shut and latch, but never the first time, and not without showing it who's boss... I'm going for a kinder/gentler latching.
    Someday~

3. coilover

coilover Member

Here's what we do with fairly good results. Have the latch assembly and hinges completely off the truck and set the hood on. If the gaps look good then any misalignment from that point on is NOT from improper core support shims, fender to cab mounting, or brace rod adjustment. If the gaps are wrong then it IS from one of the above. It cuts the possible causes in half.

4. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

When it comes to aligning the hood to the fenders & cowl.....Coilover's advice is some of the best you can get.

The main problem with aligning hoods is..... everything fits great until the hold open springs are attached & then everything gets caddywompass.