Anyone seen a '47-'54 truck with two chrome strips on the bottom/back side of front f

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by lazys53, Aug 11, 2006.

1. lazys53

lazys53 Member

live in Sparks,NV, but my heart is in Cali.( I wil
    I have seen in the pages of the Lowrider Magazine, a few trucks between '47 - '53 with two chrome strips on the bottom / back side of the front and rear fenders. Does anyone know what the name of or the place where I can get these chrome strips? I just think, a lil more chrome can't hurt anyone.

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

DeLuxe Fender Trims

Yes of course , these are the popular _three_ stainless steel trims and came on DeLuxe model trucks as an extra cost option .

There's a guy here in Ca. who's re-popping them , list price is like $1,200.00 unless you're brown , that's B.S. so I won't buy from him .

They should be available for a hundred or so dollars a set .

The deal is : to have them made you need to pay for the tooling costs and this means significant capital investment , no one is ever certain they'll get thier $ back .

They do look very sharp , now go look at the fender spears used on the middle of the front fenders , also re-popped by the same guy .

Look in Low Rider Magazine to see all the cool stainless steel and chrome shiny bits made for our trucks...

3. lazys53

lazys53 Member

Hey Nate, if I'm brown. Like Brown skinned? Well, I am, and over the phone and EVEN through the mail YOU could be too. Through a Lopez or Ramirez on the end of your name, we got our selves some bad ass strips for our trucks! What could possibly go wrong. If he comes at you with some spanish, just wait, get some help from me or some of the other guys. Or, just to play it safe, DON'T ask any of us, he might be in here somewhere, you never know. I could give him a call or email, and see how much for two (2) sets? What do u think about that? If he's serious about $1200.00, I need some time to gather that much up. But, if u got the dough now, I could start something up for you, only if u want. Let me know.
    lazy

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Lazy ;

Exactamente ! . Ami que me importa que color o Raze sera una persona pero el rasita me qie mal .:mad:

pardon my wretched Spanish , I speak it far better than I write it .:rolleyes:

I was married to a fine Guatemalan lady for 15 years and lived in Guatemala City my son is " Pocho " ~ sabes ? . :eek:

THANK YOU for your kind offer .

If they ever show up ' On The Cheap ' without the need for subtrifuge , I'm in .

-Nate

5. lazys53

lazys53 Member

Hey Nate, You speak it/ write it A lot better than I can / could. soy pocho tambien...half native indian. They call me lazy, cuz... I am, but also when it comes to gettin' around , I'll speak half and half. the lazy way. If I don't know how to say in spanish, I'll just say it in english. Instead of trying to say it spanish. Oh well. Does that guy have a website? What do they call these chrome strips? Maybe we could find 'em somewhere else. Knowing the name would make it easier to find. You said they came on the Deluxe Cab. Do you mean the 5 - Windows' cab? The one with windows in the corners of cab. cuz thats what I got. Let me know.
    lazy

6. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

they are called front fender mouldings (or rear fender mouldings) according to the Chevrolet Master Parts and Accessory Catalog. It's my understanding that they were an RPO for panel trucks, not pickups, but there's no law that says you couldn't put them on pickups. Just for grins, Chevy sold the mouldings back then for less than 2 bucks a piece! gotta love inflation!

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Not sure if only for panel trucks but for sure that's where 99 % of them went , now I look back on all those old DeLuxe panels I didn't buy for $175.00 back in the 1970's.......

Hey Lazy , didja know ? GM called those corner windows " Nu View " and pitched them as a _SAFETY_ item ~ back in the day you'd see striiped yard goats with them , those trucks were _SO_ cheap they didn't have sun visors
    but they had those corner windows ! .

Good on ya , I work out in the desert a lot so I didn't want any extra glass to let the hot sun beat on the back of my neck.....

Sabes Que ? .

' ME TOO ! ' dijo gabacho y se fue entre la milpa..........

If you don't understand , I'll translate .

8. ccharr

ccharr Member

On another forum a person has a set with minor dings for 2500.00.
    New at half the price, now bad if you really want them.

ccharr
    47 3804

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

$ 2,500.00 ? more than TWICE the price of new ones ?

Wow . greed & avarice know no boundaries it seems .

Interestingly , last summer there was a rusty old '53 DeLuxe panel truck with ALL the stainless trims , heaters , fender skirts , visor , radio the works ~ for only $800.00 _asking_ price , way out in the woods of Georgia....

We talked a goodly bit about buying it just to strip off the goodies for resale .

-Nate

10. ccharr

ccharr Member

Acquisitiveness is a strong motivator to some.
    At the Pomona Swap meet last Sunday the 27th I asked a lot of merchants if any one had any. There was not a set to be found.
    Right now I'm trying to find someone to clear coat my rust tub; no one wants to touch it.
    ccharr 1947 3804

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Clear Coat ?

Are you trying for the " Rusto Rod " look ? if so , why not just buy a cheap HVLP gun and compressor from Harbor Freight and squirt it your ownself ? it's not like a few runs or orange peel will be noticeable over rust.... ;)

Lots of these here in La La Land ~ it makes me laugh as I used to have to ride 'round in junkers when working , now some folks are tossing out good seats and ruining shiny paint jobs to get that '50's/60's poor boy '
    look ! . :rolleyes:

Whatever floats you boat is my motto ~ YOU paid for it so you get to decide how it looks & goes . :D

12. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Are these the $1000 strips?

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

You have both there , the fender spears plus the DeLuxe lower trims

Looks pretty nice to me .

14. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Not my truck. Jerry Mungon gets to drive it, but it belongs to his better half.

15. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

bill, i noticed in a previous post that you frequent the Kroger on Saturday night. do you guys plan to be there this Saturday, or do you suppose that due to the holiday, most folks will be out of town. I'd like to meet you and swap tall tales and get your input on possible vendors to help me with my 50.

16. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Ken:

My guess is that they will have a huge turnout because of rain the last 3 Saturday afternoons. A good night is 300+. Last Saturday it rained as late as 5pm and they only 125 cars show up. Weidest thing there was a 47 Hudson Pickup with a tilt front end and a small block Chevy.

Check your private messages.

17. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Ken: I guess you didn't get the private message.

Last weekend's turnout was 300+ cars. I didn't go because I was entertaining relatives. This weekend I will try to be there, but have lots of "honey dos" on Saturday. Check your private messages and call me if you are planning to go.

18. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Bill, i did get the messege, but had the same issues as you and didn't get rid of my company until late Saturday. Are you going to the swap meet out at the horse track Sunday?