Arm Rest Discolored

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by penniwinkle, Oct 31, 2013.

1. penniwinkle

penniwinkle Member

A few years ago, I purchased 2 new arm rests for my truck. They were grey and looked really good. As time passed, the vinyl has become very discolored...a brownish/green. I tried soap and water but no success. Maybe the Arizona sun has changed the color. Anyone have any suggestions? I know there is paint for vinyl but have never tried it. On the picture, the vinyl on the left and right ends (below the stitching) had not turned (is still grey) but the top that wraps to front looks really bad. Both have discolored. Attaching picture.

Roger

Attached Files:

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Plastic/Vinyl Cleaning

An interesting trick I learned was to use cream typ hand cleaner and a clean rag ,work it in and often the old materiel cleans up like new again .

3. coilover

coilover Member

The vinyl spray paint found at any place with a good rattle can paint selection works really well and won't scuff or peel IF you prepare right. Use grease and wax remover or a damps laquer thinner rag to clean and then put on several light coats till coverage is even.

4. morabuffalo

morabuffalo Member

cool ride arm rest

Why not try and put something different...right now I have some old gunny sack covering my arm rests. I had done one when the wife said....hey, why not some buffalo skin...we have some...so when this wears out....smooth hair buffalo is next! oh, yes, the cover is a home made piece of thin metal...I was really disappointed with the card board lasting a couple of months. My truck is a worker and on the road...finally "cracked up" on trip to Padre Island. Well, both the engine and door side covers.

I also have my tailgate chain covers out of gunny sack...although really old looking now. Had planned to do the shifter and other stuff, but...

Shag carpet stuff for the arm rest....now that is a little too far!

Oh, I used some heavy duty weatherstripping stuff to grab material fast. It was fairly easy! I should of used some new gunny sack material...this sack was not very tight material.

Rod...good luck, if you have not done anything yet.

Attached Files: