AutoZone sucks

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by aimless, Sep 26, 2006.

1. aimless

aimless Member

Just an FYI . . .

Bought a new radiator cap the other day from there. Worked good for about a week. Then I was driving down the highway and smelled that wonderful sweet smell we all know and HATE to smell. So I pulled over and poped the hood - antifreeze had shot all over the inside of my hood. All hoses were in good order . . . I can only conclude that the radiator cap is a POS. That's why you don't buy a $5 cap from AutoZone.

2. 283 man

283 man Member

Ive had bad luck there a time or two,one time few years back with a fuel pump that was brand new from them and put it on the POS wouldnt pump fuel,long story short bought one at Oriellys.

3. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

I Work As A Parts Advisor/mechanic At A Local Dealership, And My Friends, Shucks, Autozone, Or Any Small Chain With No Wholesale Side, Are Only Good For Air Freshners, Floormats And Antenna Balls. Everthing Else Is Garenteed Garbage.

4. drabo

drabo Member

I bought a new alternator from them. After a week a screw on the inside of the case came loose. Needless to say it made one hell of a racket and I had to replace the alternator.

5. Ebon Hawk

Ebon Hawk Member

I have had the ...heh... pleasure of working at both AZ and it's closest competitor, the big O'. While I'll agree with everyone here that AZ has some very poor quality OEM parts, *especially* when it comes to alternators, starters, and just about any other part you really can't drive a vehicle without, the "little green men" down the street aren't much better.

It's a little known fact that EVERY alternator, starter, most water pumps, and a lot of other various engine components you buy at the parts store are not new, but are remanufactured. Under normal circumstances, this isn't necissarily an issue, but think of it this way. Your shiny "new" part you're installing on your car has failed someone else in the past. This may not be much of an issue if the failure was something minor, like worn-out brushes in the alternator, or a sticking bendix in a starter, but who's to say it wasn't a failed bearing, that caused a LOT of heat damage? Metal can only take so much stress before it becomes brittle, and prone to even more catastrophic faliure.

Now don't get me wrong... I shop at all of the retail auto parts stores quite regularly, but it's mostly because I'm on a "fix-it-as-it-breaks" basis right now, and can't really afford the higher prices for the higher quality parts. The old saying is definately true in the automotive world, you get what you pay for.

If you are really concerned with longevity (sp?) in your car parts, shop Napa or one of the older, but less widely spread chains if you have one in your area. Unfortunately for most of us, AZ and O' are the most plentiful, and usually easiest to get to when you're borrowing someone else's car to do a parts-run. If you don't mind the wait, and can't find it locally, Summit has always done me right for simple, run-of-the-mill parts, and our host here at Classic Parts of America has always been very helpful in obtaining those hard to find parts our trucks always seem to need.

6. aimless

aimless Member

The O'Reillys in my area has one saving grace . . . this little old fella named Wade working behind the counter. Whenever I go in there I always try to have him help me. Besides him, there are only a couple that seem to know stuff pretty well, then there are a couple pure idiots. They are the guys that get flustered when I inform them my '65 has a 350ci in it - dang, now how do we find parts for that?:mad:

7. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

I Agree With Ebon Hawk, Az, Napa, O, Carquest, Schucks, The Problem Is Where They Are Getting There Reman Electrical Parts. They Dont Do There Own Remans They Get Them From Suppliers. If The Part Will Be Dependable Depends Completly On The Supplier That Is Remanufacturing The Part. You Get What You Pay For And In The Town Were I Work (not Live) The People Would Rather Buy The Part That Costs Ten Bucks Less And Then They Come Back In Three Months Later Pissed Cause They Have The Same Problem. Ok So You Saved Ten Bucks And The Part Has A Liftime Warrenty, So What Do You Get With That Ten Dollars You Saved? You Get To Pay The Labor To Have The Part R&r'ed Every Three Months Or, You Get To Spend Part Of Your Saturday Every Three Months R&rjng The Part Your Self. But Hey The Part Has A Life Time Warrenty, Sounds Like Hell Of A Deal For Ten Bucks!!!! Or You Can Buy The High End Higher Dollor Electrical Component That Comes With A One Year Warrenty And It Will Last You Ten Years, Think About It, The Oem Factory (lets Say Alternator) Lasted 15 Years, I Think Ill Buy The Factory One Since I Know I Have A Very Good Chance The New One Will Also Last Another 15 Years. One Hell Of A Lot Less Headache!! So If Your Going To Go With An Aftermarket Reman, Find Out Who Is Actually Doing The Rebuilding And Check Out To See About There Reputation. But Hey If You Need To Get An Air Freshner, Antenna Ball, Or Some Hip Hop Dragon Logo Floor Mats, By All Means Hit Up The Aftermarket Stores.

8. coilover

coilover Member

It's just not Auto Zone, all the chain stores have people that only know how to punch keys on a computer. If it's not on the Holy Grail of a screen then it doesn't exist to them. I fear the independent store I use that also has paint and hardware will be bought by a chain and the very savvy crew replaced key punching monkeys. The present crew all have circle burners and have broken (numerous times) every part that's possible to break and replaced it on their own cars so they not only know the part but can even tell you what tools and sizes it will take to repair it. You can walk in the door and say you need a gasket set for a sbc and all they ask is, "one or two piece rear seal and left or right dipstick". None of this 2 or 4 barrel, standard or automatic, etc., etc., that has nothing to do with what you need. It's so nice to deal with people that actually go get their hands greasy after their shift is over at the store.

9. aimless

aimless Member

YOU AIN'T KIDDING!

Don't ever ask them to find parts for a new engine in an old car. I bought a new starter, and I had to tell the guy, "No, you need to look up the motor, not the car." He did his thing, then proceeded to inform me that a '65 C-10 did not come with a 350ci in it. :eek: :confused:

10. drabo

drabo Member

I was informed that my truck didn't have power steering or a 700R4. Go figure (just a little sarcasim). I have to be the guy with the car knowledge and rember what year truck the parts can be used from. For now I have a 66 Chevy with a 72 pitman arm, 81 steering box, 86 transmission, and pretty soon an 89 350 engine. It's hell to get parts.

11. 283 man

283 man Member

Sometimes they will even tell you it is for that model it well work,then come to find out it doesnt work you have to be one step ahead of them at all times they act like they are helping you but most of the time all they see is $$$.

12. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Well we have C.T. up here. I know how you all feel same here, So for a long time now. You will have to word things so it will trick them in to thinking they know what there doing or make them work for you. Try to all ways know what fits or works before going to them. I think when they hire these kids that at least
    try to some what be good and care just a little about to job for the customer,
    try to learn short cuts, get to know some of the older part that are mean streem.