Back from paint

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by David Hall, Oct 21, 2008.

1. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

:D:D
    WOW, That is alot of work but, it looks good.
    I like the idea about the sound proofing the doors, will they be water proof too? I mean you are gonna use this thing for playing in the mud, right??
    :eek: Truck does look sharp. I'm getting ready to start sanding on mine.
    Already found a few spots on the hood where someone did a really bad job.
    Good news though the doors don't have any rust on them at all.
    Anyway keep it up it hopefully won't be too much longer and you will be cruzin' . Here's wishing you luck!! :cool:

2. David Hall

David Hall Member

Thanks for the compliment. I don't think these doors could ever be completely water proof, i'm just try mix a little modern tech. with old school. No this truck won't see any mud, I just want to turn a few heads.

3. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

:eek: What?? No mud ,man what is the popurse of being 4x4??
    J/K :cool:
    Don't think I would put it in the mud either. Keep up the good work!!

4. David Hall

David Hall Member

Na, no mud, this ones just for looks. My son is already calling it a hanger queen.

5. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

Okay no mud....:cool:
    Took my '83 tto a small show sunday and had some people like it;
    now I just gotta get the body work done and I should be good to go.
    Had alot of ??? about how I got passed the emssions test and they were surprised to learn I did not have to take it. Told 'em truck was too old,
    and explained to them about the "classic laws".They did how ever like the motor, so I was happy!! :D:D

6. drabo

drabo Member

Check Eastwood I think they sell a bolt tumbler for redoing bolts. After that they need to be re-zinced or chromed.

7. David Hall

David Hall Member

I noticed those, but I bought the cabinet style to blast bigger items in addition to just bolts. Chroming is out of the question because I'm trying to put it back somewhat original. I just don't want chrome bolts all over the firewall, fenders, radiator support and under the dash. Zinc would be ok in some places but the process takes a day just to do a few bolts.

8. David Hall

David Hall Member

I've been busy, this whats happened lately. I have the brake booster, master cylinder, emergency brake mechanism and dash wiring harness installed. After rebuilding the steering column I installed it loosely (not sure if I spelled that right), so I could hook the dash wiring harness up.Then I got a little hung up on the brake light switch, it has two harnesses that go to it. One is for the brake lights (orange & white wires) and the other is for my 700R4 torque converter lock up ( blue & pink w/black stripe). PROBLEM STARTS HERE: While trying to put this truck back together I'm trying to find out what emission stuff I can remove. Removing unnecessary wires in the harness as I go. Doing my homework, I found that the computer under the dash can be completely removed after a simple distributor wiring modification. When the computer is removed, the kNOCK sensor down by the starter, the TIP sensor on the firewall above the right valve cover and all related wires/ vacuum hoses can also go. But I'm not satisfied yet I want to remove more, the EGR, TVS's on the thermostat housing and one more on the intake (I think it's call EGR bleed but not sure yet, still more homework to do). If I can remove them, not looking to bypass, and related wires from the harness I can pretty much run any aftermarket intake and carb setup. I want the old school way, simple. I'll post pictures this week end. If anyone has answers for what I'm doing please chime in. Surfing the internet is no where as fun as garage time.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  9. jaybyrd66

jaybyrd66 Member

you gotta love the internet, man you can find anything in the world on there. google is awesome lol

10. David Hall

David Hall Member

This is true.

All is good right?

After MUCH, maybe too much research, I have removed (and posted the links on another thread) quite abit of the emission stuff. Today I bought my new intake and carb. And somehow found the time to redo my headers. Yesterday I finished installing the cleaned up engine harness. Tomorrow I need to make a new hole in the firewall for the 700R4 transmission harness to pass through. That should be fun, and it always is when you get to drill a 1 1/4 hole through a freshly painted firewall. If time permits I'm going to clean up the transfer harness and install that also.

Just to tease ya'll I'll post progress pics sunday nite.

11. David Hall

David Hall Member

Progress Pics

Firewall inside and out.

Attached Files:

12. David Hall

David Hall Member

More

Engine parts not installed yet.

Attached Files:

13. David Hall

David Hall Member

Look at me

Pushed her out of the garage and washed the dust off. Man the weather was nice last weekend.

Attached Files:

14. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

:cool: looking good there, david...:D
    we are also having some good weather and I wanted to do some work too mine but, my wife gave me one of those "honey do list".....:rolleyes:
    and now I have been building her a porch and doing some other things...:(

BE GLAD WHEN SHE GOES BACK TOO WORK.....:D

your truck is coming along nice, about how much you got left too do?

15. David Hall

David Hall Member

This weekend I plan on pulling the motor just to clean it up and put a fresh coat of paint on it. It's about the only part left that hasn't been out. Besides if I don't I'll wish I had later.

16. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

yeah been there, the motor I just put in my 83 needs to have the same thing done. might get the chance to do it after all, found a small oil leak,
    on the oil pan so, while I got it out I might give it a fresh coat.
    ??? for ya what would you use to get the old paint off?

what color are you gonna paint yours? the truck is looking really good.

17. David Hall

David Hall Member

I don't think it's necessary to remove the old paint. This engine has never been painted except other than factory paint. I plan to just degrease real good, wash with warm/ hot soapy water, rinse and put black engine paint on it.

Attached Files:

18. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

well my little oil leak, turned into a complete disaster. The gasket was pinched on one side so, I had to put a new one on and while I was at it I pulled the oil pump just to clean it up a little. Also checked all the bearings and bolts, everything looked good. Anyway it looks like this motor was at one time blue, and someone repainted it orange...any ideas on how to get it all the way back down too metal without tearing the entire thing apart?
    Let me know ...all help is helpful...Thanks

SORRY David didn't mean to jack your thread...your truck is looking really sharp!!
    keep up the good work.

19. David Hall

David Hall Member

Jack all you want as long as it's about trucks.
    Maybe some sort of paint striper? Then I'd be worried that it might get into some of the gaskets and cause a leak.
    Remember about 4 replies ago when I said I was going to just paint the engine. Well I took it a little further and disassemble the whole engine. Now I'm just wondering how much money I want to sink into this 305. At least most of the parts will fit the 350 when and if I ever get that far.

20. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

:eek:...are you that bored??? I 'm bored but jesh....:rolleyes:

well what colcr have you deceide? I would go with something that would match the rest of the truck...maybe the old chevy blue...:D

me well I thought about stripper but then talked to a guy at the paint shop and that is a no-go...:(

so I guess I'm gonna do it the old fashion way...hand-sanding....:rolleyes:
    then I think I will paint it orange. anyway I'll let you know how it goes.