Backing through my lawn, all by myself

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Thunder54, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Thunder54

Thunder54 Member

I know once in a great while we each have a chance to do something we feel we could have avoided.

This was Wednesday afternoon of this week. I was backing through a chaine link fence gate opening and just turn in the gate too soon. Thunder paid the price!

My 13 year old paint job will require some body's and paint work.

I am fortunate that the paint used years ago by my body shop friend will match up ok. He painted the truck in pieces and I assembled it painted. Because he was concerned about matching the paint if anything ever like my goof this week, he refused to add any metal to the paint.

My question to the forum, would you pull the fender off to repair and paint it, or repair and match the paint in place?

The photo is for Zig.

I plan to have the repairs done before I drive my 54 much more.

Jim:(

Attached Files:

2. Zig

Zig Member

Ouch!

I suppose someone who was bendable and wasn't in need of bifocals could get under there and pound out the dent.

Sorry, Jim!

3. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Hot!

Man, that sucks. Hey, it's the perfect excuse to get some HOT ROD FLAMES ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  4. Thunder54

Thunder54 Member

Flames

Hot Rod Flames, what a great idea!

I have been accused in the past by restoration purist of having a street Rod because I am running Pertronix ignition.

Not bone stock, but close. 235, and Patrick's 355:1 ring and pinion.

Jim

5. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Love your truck Jim... ghost flames would be cool... the kind that only are visible in bright sunlight.

6. coilover

coilover Member

Here's how we do one like this; you can use some of it, none of it, or part of it--your choice. Repair is your choice, on or off. Paint should be done on the vehicle unless you saved some of the original paint. To make an invisible blend the paint is allowed to drift over onto the adjoining panels (door, hood, cowl) with paper "back taped" in place. This prevents a sharp or "halo" line. After paint the entire surrounding panels are clear coated. If you paint the fender off the truck then when it is bolted up against the other panels often even Ray Charles or Stevie Wonder could see the difference.

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Bummer , This

But , it's fixable .

Let us know how it works out Jim .

8. coilover

coilover Member

Oh yes, it is fixable. AD Suburban rear fenders are just like pickup fenders except they wrap around under the rear tail pan so this makes them rare and pricey. Before and after pics are of a 52 Suburban with a dinged right rear fender. Finished fender has no more than 1/16" of Bondo. Just be patient and massage out the metal with hammer and dolly and probably a shrinking hammer and shrinking dolly also. No banging or beating.

Attached Files:

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Metal Works

It's nice to see there's still a few who know how to do this ! .