bed tie down hooks

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Chiro, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Chiro

Chiro Member

Well...it is a truck after all...and I use it as such.

What has anybody used or installed in the bed to use as tie-downs for securing the load in the bed when motoring?

thanks,

Andy

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Rope Hooks

Andy ;

Let me know what and where you find them , I need to find a bunch for my C/10 .

There's a multitude of different types and styles , I prefer the ones with rounded points , the squared end ones chafe rope and can cut you easily when you're working .

I had a BIG bag of the " U " shaped weld on typ , I'm thinking of buying more if I can find them as I'm about the have my truck re - painted so I'll have them welded to the bed sides and (pristine original paint) tailgate , I like to place then near the bed corners and outer sides of the tailgate leaned over about 45? so they're easier to use and less likely to catch anything accidentally .

I also like to place tow on the front of the bed at sharp angles so I can tie the tarp / load down in the front too ~ if you're going to work it , do things right .

3. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Old hooks

I like what the DPO did on my truck. It actually helped me understand what a 'stove bolt' was :cool:

Attached Files:

4. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Tie downs plates/rings installed in the truck bed

I had a Mazda pickup truck some years ago wich had plates with tie down rings bolted in the bed at 4 Places , they where practicall to have when transporting sacks of 60l and 80 liter fire Wood. I used a cover over it and tied them down with long wropes.
    Martinius.

5. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

On my 65 I bought 4 heavy duty 3/8 forged steel eyebolts (not the cheesy Home Depot style). Placed two in the back by replacing a couple of fender bolts and two in the front by replacing a couple front bed panel to bed side panel bolts.

Hope that helps!

John

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  6. steve

steve Member

Tie Downs,

I have these in by box trailer, I was thinking on recessing then (they are 3/4) in my wood bed with a backing plate. The could be placed in the bed sides also.

Attached Files:

• ring.jpg
      ring.jpg
      File size:
      59.3 KB
      Views:
  7. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

A few that I have considered, the old ones I had I removed, some of these are trick, as good as most of you guys here are with metal can create some nice pieces, pics of a few for ideas, including the base units for stake pockets or as simple as a ring bolt. The first one is a stainless boat lift ring, second is a popup stud, the rest are self explanitory...

Attached Files:

8. ccharr

ccharr Member

9. Tubby

Tubby Member

Saw these at a show on a gmc
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Chiro

Chiro Member

^^^Ooooh!! Those look nice. Never seen those before. I bet they are hand forged by the owner of the truck.

11. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

They do look nice. But you can bet using those you'll rub the paint off the rails if you use them as tie down points. :(

May or may not be an issue for ya, some do.. some don't, you might :D

If you still like them do an internet search for "Tarp Hooks"... http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i:aps,k:tarp hooks

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  12. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

Those hooks Tubby has actually look pretty nice.

Those original hooks from the 40's & 50's are about as ornate as you will find but, man you gotta be pretty serious about using them to drill all the holes needed to mount them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Thank you *all* !

The ones Joe showed are the best there are IMO but , once you've used the weld one typ or gotten hurt by the threaded ends of the bolt one ones only the weld on typ will do .

Notice these are the very best as they have punched square holes so you can properly use carriage bolts on them , this means no mangled finger/hands are you're rapidly loading the truck and the guy on t'other end of the rope gives a mighty yank :eek: (BT , DT & have the lifetime of scars to show for it) .

The bolt on typ also intrudes into the bed's cargo area and no matter how carefully you grind them , they catch and hurt you and cargo .

Yes , I really do use them and no , the paint doesn't get damaged by the rope .
    It used to be that all the companies that actually build truck bodies , had the weld on typ in stock at all times .

I can't find any truck body builders in L.A. right now , that's weird .

I also can't find the 35 # BAGFUL of the ones I want that I bought for .50 CENTS apiece 25 years ago and have stashed away for just the need I have now .

14. Tubby

Tubby Member

MotherTrucker "hooked" me up with some original cast iron hooks.
    Not a easy item to find.

They look great and I got them for a fair price.

Thanks MT
    :cool:

15. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

this is what i did, bought these off an army surplus online store. like 2 bucks a pop. drilled the center hole out a bit and put the bed bolts through them..

Attached Files:

16. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Rope Hooks

I got some cheaply from a Trailer Supply place in England of all places .

Pictures to follow .

17. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Nate, try this site and see if it helps. http://www.hardwareandtools.com/Truck-Bed-Tie-Down-Hardware/index3.html It looks like they have weld on hooks in several sizes.