Bench Seat Interchange

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by spika, May 9, 2011.

1. spika

spika Member

Thanks Charles...yea, I have seen that link, and that is pretty much what I'm planning on doing, but in about 2 hours time...quite a bit cheaper. We'll see how it works.
    Zig, I have thought about that option, as there is potential storage under the seat...still might try that, but not sure how much pull it will take to lift and pivot the whole seat...

2. spika

spika Member

Well, I got a chance to work on the bench seat some tonight. Got the back frame split into two halves, with room left for the fold-down armrest in the center.
    [​IMG]

Fab'd a pivot arm at each end, with a backing plate to hinge from, rotating on a shoulder bolt.

[​IMG]

Instead of building spring loaded hooks to keep the seat back and secure, I used some bear-claw-type rotory latches; one on each side, that will be linked together with a rod so both can be tripped from either side.

[​IMG]

Seems to be coming out pretty much as planned...think it will work well. Will install zig-zag springs in the rear frame, and probably just foam on the insert bottom bench seat unit that will dowel into the frame base at the back and attach in from the front with two screws into rivet nuts. Glad to have gotten this far tonight...I've got to get this complete and to the upholstery guys asap!!!

3. Zig

Zig Member

Cool deal! Can't wait to see the final product!