Blasting

Discussion in 'Paint & Body' started by fyritup52, Nov 1, 2006.

1. fyritup52

fyritup52 Member

Well I've got most of the sheet metal done on the cab of "Lucille" and I must say I'm so proud,I picked up some blasting sand today and gonna start either today or tommorrow,I've done some blasting on a couple places and I've got to say it looks real good,no tips,tricks or secrets,just thought I'd share the good news:)

2. 62 short step

62 short step Member

How big of a blaster are you using? I ask because I'd like to buy one big enough to do the job on my truck. Jeremy

3. rsibley

rsibley Member

If your going to sandblast the body be very careful not to get it hot -it will warp so bad you'll never work it out.If it's a big unit turn the air down some.

4. azcarman411

azcarman411 Member

Sand blasting doesent acually warp metal from the heat. It's the peening that warps the metal, like thousands of little hammer blows. You can sand blast lots of areas without damage, but beware of flat surfaces. Chris

5. glaser06

glaser06 Member

lots of blasting experience

So far I've done most of my blasting using a harbor freight purchased 110 lb capacity sand blaster. Use either grade 5 silica sand (hazardous to breathe) or Aluminum Oxide and you'll be ok (havent' warped any body panels or anything). The frame I blasted using a commercial blaster I rented to do it and a few trailers in a weekend (Grade 3 sand), and finished in about 20 minutes (the frame, the trailers were several more hours of work:D). Something of that size would be a bad choice for any body work or smaller parts.

here's the blaster I use: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95014

also, a blasting cabinet works great for small parts (door handles, steering wheels, wheel drums, etc.) so you don't loose them and you can reuse the blasting media at least once if you filter it.

hope this helps out!

6. tiggamonsta

tiggamonsta Member

Have you tried a soda blaster? I here they are less likely to warp panels and easier on the lungs.

7. SGTAGUILAR

SGTAGUILAR Member

This will be the first time I ever use this forum even though I have been a member for a little while now, I have a question as to what size compressor to use with that harbor frieght sand blaster, and what type of protective gear I should use. will it work on the frame. I had my 64 c10 truck all the way to the metal already but when I left for Iraq my wife took it out of the garage and never covered it so now I have a coat of rust on a truck that was once rust FREE!

8. tiggamonsta

tiggamonsta Member

Definitely want a good quality mask. Heavy leather gloves that go up the arm and a full face shield. Can't help on the compressor size, but you can never go too big. :D The dust from sandblasting can be very hazardous to the lungs. You also need to prime (with a good epoxy primer) whatever you blast as soon as possible. Rust will start to form imediately even in the garage. Growing up I watched my dad do auto body and it amazed me how fast bare metal would show rust just sitting in the shop.

9. SGTAGUILAR

SGTAGUILAR Member

Thanks for the advice Tiggamonsta especially on the primer that most likley would have been my next question. Thanks!