brakes...help!

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by belaclemurk, Oct 1, 2010.

1. belaclemurk

belaclemurk Member

so i have a '52 3/4ton (3600) that im trying to get new brake drums for. problem is i cant figure out what ones i need. so on the front i have 11" and on the rear i have 12" (diameter, approx) also, they are all 8 lug. first, is this standard on this truck? and second, what should i do? can i get drums that size? where?
    i appreciate any help because i am completely stumped. thanks.

2. MotherTrucker

MotherTrucker Member

drums

Well, youre going to definitely want to replace with the same size thats on there now. Do you have a drum mic.?
    If not, have the shop mic. them for you to be sure they need replaced.
    Some of the suppliers may sell new ones,or you may have to go the used route from the "parts wanted" section.
    I have some 1/2 ton ones but they wont work for you.

3. Wolf

Wolf Member

Well I went through all this too a few years ago. Do a search on this forum for huck brakes. That is what you have. Unfortunately nobody makes new drums for these. So Do NOT get them turned. You can look at a few places junk yards and such for replacements. If yours are still together then they are probably ok. You can get a mic and check the thickness if you think you need to. You can get all the parts you need except the drums and the rear shoes, however you can get the rear shoes relined.
    Check out Jim Carters, they have used parts and may be able to direct you to others that have them if they dont.

Good luck

4. belaclemurk

belaclemurk Member

hey thanks. i will need to get at least one of each size b/c one is broken and the other is worn thin. if i do that i should try to get them to match close in thickness.

so let me get this straight....1/2tons dont have huck brakes? b/c I can find 1/2ton drums on the web for sale. my cylinders have the sprocket-looking back-offs on both sides.

5. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

1/2 T have huck brakes

Here's what a 1/2 T front huck brake setup looks like, but I believe your 3/4 T might have many differences.

Attached Files:

6. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Mine was 3/4 ton to start with. Unless you are going to restore it, a 1/2 ton swap is very popular. Just swap out the front with a complete unit from a hot rodded trck, then swap to a newer model rear end and you have a great driver.

7. ccharr

ccharr Member

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

The Truck Shop

Wow ~ I've never looked i the OnLine catalog before ~ they've got a lot of Huck Brake parts there....

Be aware that when you order by 'phone , have the gibbering child on the other end of the line , take the time to read back your entire order , by P/N AND description ! they hire retards for minimum wages and they don't give a crap about accuracy...

NEVER buy rubber here either . everything else is well priced .