Building a clone of grandpa's service truck

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by SinclairChevy, Dec 27, 2011.

1. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Ok, I've been able to do a little research while on "vacation" from work.

1. The original 1950's-era Sinclair paint codes I found are still valid and I can get the colors mixed. Score.

2. I found what I believe to be the correct compression fittings for the oil pump-to-block supply tube.

Have a peek: http://www.mcmaster.com/#cadinlnord/50915k326/=n62tlg

3. I found Chevrolet Dark Gray engine paint in an aerosol can available at The Filling Station. Sorry host, I could only find it in quarts on your site.

Still haven't had any replies on using copper versus steel for the oil supply tube. If I stick with steel, I will have to heat it to bend it, as it is only kinking when I try to make the correct shape. Is copper ok, or do I need to stick with steel? If I need to stay with a steel tube, heating it to bend it into the proper shape to prevent kinks will not harm it, will it?

Thanks again.

Damon

2. ccharr

ccharr Member

Damon ,

Thanks for the updates on your truck and the links.
    When you are bending the steel tube are you using a bending tool and using the long springs inside to help it keep it's shape?

Thanks again,
    Charles

3. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Charles,

I'm using a mid-grade pliers-type bending tool, but without inserting anything on the inside for support. Where could I find such a spring?

Thanks!

Damon

4. ccharr

ccharr Member

Damon,

I'm not sure where anymore you can find the different size long springs, but screen door spring if you can find them small enough and for small tube I use choke or throttle cable. Any of those cables that flex work as long as they are not soft metal and will not kink inside, also aircraft cable, & armored flex conduit smaller than the radius will become after the bending. Be sure to move the spring or cable as you bend the tube.

Hope this helps,
    Charles

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  5. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Thanks Charles, it does help!

Do you think heating the steel tube would harm it?

Damon

6. ccharr

ccharr Member

Damon,

I use heat when ever I have a full bottle around along with the springs and cable.

Hope this helps,
    Charles

7. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

It helps immensely, Charles! I'll be ordering the stuff I need from McMaster-Carr tomorrow... and hopefully I can finally finish the bottom end assembly of this 235!! Then I can finish the top half... get it painted... and get it on my frame!

Thanks for your help, kind sir!

Damon

8. ccharr

ccharr Member

Your Welcome Damon, glad it helped some.

Charles

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

No copper !

..Unless it's the modern copper / nickle alloy as regular copper tubing will fatigue and brake as you're happily Motoring along..... :eek: .

Sorry for the late reply , I must have missed your asking this question before .

The engines were not dark gray when new .

I just use Rustoleum in Foo-Foo cans .

10. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

It's ok, Nate... thanks for replying. Better late than never, eh?

Good point about the copper. What do you think about stainless steel? I've discovered that the factory tubing is indeed 7/16" diameter and not 1/2"... why would it be easy, right?

Since I cannot find any 7/16" compression fittings anywhere, I believe I will have to order 1/2" pipe and compression fittings. I'd rather go slightly bigger, as that will not hinder oil flow.

Make sense to anyone?

Damon

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Tubing

I don't know about the stainless steel tubing , if there's an alloy typ it's prolly fine .

I don't understand why you can't find one off some junked 235 ? :confused: .

A Brake Jobber should be able to find the fittings you need .

12. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Funny you should ask, Nate. I was able to find two of the tubes from two of the engines I had bought as rebuild candidates. The third tube probably went straight to the junk heap with the third engine... as it was a total mess and far beyond any hope of rebuilding. However, I was only able to find two of the compression fittings. The threads were boogered up on at least one of the fittings. I took both tubes and one fitting with me to a truck repair shop today. They were able to fix the threads on the one fitting, it now threads into the block painlessly. I'm going to try to fix the threads on the other fitting and hope I can just re-use one of the original steel tubes.

Cross your fingers!

Damon

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

! Yay !

Remember my mantra ; never , EVER toss out anything until the job is 100 % finished and working to your liking , this typ of deal is why .

It's also why I always head to the worst looking rigs in any junkyard ~ typically they've not been touched much and yield a treasure trove of unobtanium fasteners and small parts .

We'll be right here awaiting the good news .

14. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Oil and tubes.

The original stainless tubes are good. Modern copper bendable tubes are no problem either . Read my thread on this forum about the subject ! Have some loctite on the brass couplings.Then your good to go !
    A couple of years ago i visited the Filling station shop in OR while staying at my cousins place in Salem. I to looked at there gray engine paint but found it to dark.

Nice to read you are progressing the work on Your truck.

Martinius.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  15. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

I can't believe it's been since June since I've updated here... sheesh. Then again, I haven't really done much with the project. Having a bit of a motivation problem, I guess. It's not necessarily a "no time" nor a "no money" issue. Just kind of a "feeling blah" issue. Don't get me wrong, I'm not ill (don't ask my friends... ha ha) or anything, just... I dunno how to describe it. I really, Really, REALLY wanna get this truck done, so I just need to buck up and get back to work. The fire engine has kept me busy this summer/fall with car shows, cruise nights, etc. Even brought home a few awards with her. Pretty cool. Time to get back to the Sinclair Chevy project and give her the attention she deserves. I have one more project to tackle, hanging interior steel on the ceiling and walls of the new shop, then I can get back to work on the '50 Chevy.

Reading about Paul's and Karen's (and many others') trucks have been a huge inspiration, and having new members show up sharing their trucks and stories is great, too. Hoping to find a timing cover for the 235 engine (or just fix the one I have), then I can finally finish the assembly on the power plant, paint it, and get it on the frame. I think that will be a huge shot in the arm, and serve as a motivator for getting back to work more steadily on the truck.

Thanks for tuning in, and thanks for the encouragement and guidance you guys provide... you're the best!!

Damon

16. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

GET YOUR A$$ BACK TO WORK!

Did that help motivate you?

17. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Russ,

Oddly enough... yes, it does help motivate me... thanks! Now, if only you were down the block so I could come pick your brain and watch over your shoulder to pick up more tips and wisdom...

Damon

18. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

704 301 3611 reach out and touch someone........

19. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Russ,

I'll take you up on that one of these days when I'm out in the shop scratching my head, cursing under my breath between swigs of beer, not remembering how I took something apart two years prior to reassembly...

Thank you, sir!

Damon

20. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

You need some inspiration?

Damon, imagine your grandpa's truck in this picture!

5360_1362850405.jpg

Now are you motivated?

Ken:cool: