Building a clone of grandpa's service truck

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by SinclairChevy, Dec 27, 2011.

1. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

That's precisely the plan, Steve! Along with shelves, cabinets, old signs, and whatever else strikes me as needing to go up on the walls. :D

Damon

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Garage ' Art '

Old FlatHead head gaskets , bent & mangled connecting rods , broken crankshafts , 1930's Packard 120 hub caps , spiffy 1950's steering wheels with 1/2 horn rings , 1920's reflectors , glass lensed fog lamps with cracked lenses and pitted chrome etc, we know just what you're talking about there .

3. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Well, here ya go, Nate... a couple of pictures of the steel ceiling finished. The walls are up, and the corner trim is up, but I still have to trim out the bottom of the steel panels before I put up the plywood below the steel. Thanks again to Jim for coming over the other day and helping me finish the ceiling. Sure feels good to have that job done!!

Unfortunately, my good digital camera (Canon Digital Rebel xTi) is kind of acting up. I can't zoom all the way out with the 18-55mm lens... it gives me an error code when I try to take a photo. But, I figured out I can zoom in to around 24 mm and still be able to use the good camera. I guess a shopping trip to Best Buy is in order to get a new camera lens sometime soon. I was able to get the entire width of the shop in the frame, but I really wanted to be able to zoom all the way out to really show how nice the steel panels look. It's already MUCH brighter in there, and I still don't have lighting... kinda cool.

The first shot is looking toward the front of the shop.

[​IMG]

And the last shot is looking towards the rear.

[​IMG]

Due to odd measurements when the insulation and girts were installed, the steel panels are about 7' 7" and the plywood below that will have to be about 8' 5". Talk about goofy. After some consideration, I think the current plan is to cut the insulation at the top of the wall cavity and nail in additional 2X4 girts... then I will have a solid base to which the long plywood sheets can be fastened, as well as a narrow strip of plywood at the top, directly below the steel paneling. Slowly but surely, the shop is coming together. Hoping to tackle the rest of the walls soon, but first... I want to get my spare 235 engine brought inside so I can finish stripping it of parts needed for the project truck's engine. Woo hoo!!!!

Damon

4. Ricos54

Ricos54 Member

Wow, nice shop. One thing I don't have, building my truck in a 2 car garage with a Harley in it:eek:.

5. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Thanks, man! I'm actually building my truck in the two-car garage that is attached to the shop... and I have a BUNCH of stuff stored at my girlfriend's dad's shop. As soon as I get the chance to clean up my own place, I plan on bringing all of the components to my project truck home so I can work on everything here. But, since I'm still building the shop... it's taking a lot more time than I want it to. I cleaned up part of the (old) garage today, so I'm gonna try to get my spare engine inside tomorrow.

You may not have a lot of space, but you do fantastic work! I've been following along with your progress and I'm very impressed. Your design and fabrication skills are awesome. I also noticed you recommend the Hobart welder for panel work. I just happen to live about forty minutes away from a Farm King store that sells both the 125EZ and the 140. After I get the engine buttoned up (kinda starting to feel like "if I ever" get the engine buttoned up...), I plan on investing in a MIG welder to work on getting the cab patch panels installed.

Keep on truckin'!!

Damon

6. HotRod53

HotRod53 Member

Damon can I bring my truck over there and use all that space Ha Ha Ha. I'm jealous mine is in a 1 car carport talk about tight. One day I will get to build a shop like that. :D

7. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Come on up, John! You and Rico can both bring your trucks up here and work on them, since I can't seem to get any work done on my own. Hahaha!!

Damon

8. Zig

Zig Member

That is looking so great, Damon! One of those things that I am looking forward to as well. Hell, just having a concrete floor will tickle me no end~
    Thanks for the photo update!

9. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Thanks, Paul! I echo your sentiment about having a concrete floor. I'm hoping to get the concrete floor done in my shop this summer/fall, but we'll see. The extra space is a huge deal, and I'm grateful for that... don't get me wrong. But not being able to move stuff into storage in the new building yet is kind of a bummer since the floor isn't there. Just one of those things I gotta work around for now... no biggie. The new pad sure will be nice once it's in though, that's for certain. Can't wait to get the walls done in the shop so I can get back to work on the pick-up... it's been too long.

Damon

10. Zig

Zig Member

I hear ya, Damon! I do remember the year I spent building my garage <around> my truck! That was after I moved it about 8 feet to the side using 4X4s and railroad ties to scoot it ever so slowly to where it needed to be. I had already dismantled it, so I couldn't drive it, but I needed to move it. Yes, it was fun. ;)
    You'll be there soon, and once you are, you are REALLY going to be digging your new space! Killer speakers in the mix?

11. Ricos54

Ricos54 Member

Thanks Damon, one thing for sure no matter what project you do it seems to take a lot of of time up. Guarantee though when you finally get everything to the new shop it will be nice to have some breathing room to walk around your projects.:)

12. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Hobart MIG welders

Damon, I bought the Hobart 140 at my local Tractor Supply store. I'm not real familiar with the 125EZ, but the 140 is shield-gas ready and I'm used to welding with gas. Some guys like flux-core, but the 140 can go either way. I said earlier that Hobart is Millers little brother and it is, Miller now owns Hobart. Since Miller bought out Hobart, they improved the design of at least the 140. It now has 5 heat settings and also the drive-unit is aluminum instead of plastic. I am real happy with mine, but, I only use it on Light ga. stuff. I have a big old Miller that I use alot. You could weld on Army tanks and Bulldozers with it.
    My one piece of advice is this, be sure you get the new re-designed version as some stores still have the older plastic drive, 4 heat setting versions around (old stock). Also, I use .024 wire to weld sheet metal and that means you will need to order a different drive-wheel, because it doesn't come with the welder. The trouble with farm stores is they have no clue what you're talking about, so you have to order the wheel from a welding supply store. I couldn't even find it at my big Indpls. weld supply place so, I had to order it from Cyberweld on the web. About $25 and arrived in 2 days.