Bumpers and turn signals

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ssnow, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Here's a couple pages scanned from the Chevrolet Truck Data Book that talks about the directional signals.

AD Acc..jpg

2. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    Mel,
    That truck looks happy in its new Home. I love the wood bed rails too! Just enough patina in the paint to give it some authenticity too!

Flashlight

3. yodaman

yodaman Member

Steve,
    I hope to go to my favorite old car junkyard on Saturday. (It's my favorite as it's the only one I know of). I think I remember seeing some old turn signals on truck. Will keep an eye out if you want vintage over new.
    Josh

4. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Here is what I started with.....

[​IMG]

Fended off a ferd f 100 pretty well, you should have seen his front bumper......

5. Wolf

Wolf Member

Yeah it really is!!! You can see the welds the farmer made for his air tank. I think its kinda cool and smart instead of having an air tank in the bed taking up space, why not just take off the bumper and use that as an air tank! Makes for a fun story about the truck and its history.

I do feel bad for any lil civic or something that decides to run into the back of me!!! Its not going to hurt my truck thats for sure!!!

6. ssnow

ssnow Member

Columbia, Maryland, eventually Lopez Island, Washi
    Hi Josh,
    In general I'd rather go with vintage over new, so if you see any turn signals with arrows let me know. So, the snow up there has finally melted enough to see the junkyard?

Steve

7. yodaman

yodaman Member

Steve,
    Well, we don't have too much left. The junkyard is up in Pennsylvania a few miles, but they didn't seem to have too much left either last night. Hopefully i will get there today.

Josh

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

English AD

sweet ! :d

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Waitaminnit !

Where'd you get that oversized plywood ?! I asked and was told they don't make plywood that wide....

10. Wolf

Wolf Member

This thread could be show us your rear ends!!!!;)

nate I pretty sure that what i used was just standard 4x8... now you got me thinking. I know i just picked up the cheapest sheet i saw!!!

11. ssnow

ssnow Member

It's nice to see the 4x8 sheet there. Shortly after getting our '93 Dodge Caravan I was going to get some drywall for our garage. Imagine my surprise when I measured between the wheel wells, and it was 46 1/2 inches. Nothing that some wooden boxes and a couple 1x12's couldn't fix, but really, 46 1/2 inches.:confused:

12. ssnow

ssnow Member

Hi Josh,
    In the end I've decided to go with the non-arrow turn signals, and I got a vintage pair for a nice price on Ebay. It's a small step but I will do the restoration of them. My nephew will be getting most of the fun. I went wandering through a junkyard today (Washington State) and found a bunch of the lollipop signals, but none in very good condition, the lenses in most cases were very faded and usually cracked. Nothing else that looked in very good condition either.

Steve

13. ccharr

ccharr Member

Because of the 9ft bed I have I had to use parts of three different sheets of 3/4 in. CDX now one of the sheets nearest the tailgate has started to make a wave and pull through the deck screws. I do not think they make 50 in ply, theu do make 10 ft sheets for shear walls.