Carb problem and crankcase breather

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Al Downs, Apr 14, 2022.

1. Al Downs

Al Downs Member

I am finding out as I go thru boxes of parts that there are some missing parts.

I have attached some pics of what I am in need of. There is a bracket that holds the bottom of the breather tube in place. I don't have it

On the carb choke arm, there is a lot of free play. I think there is a spacer or keeper missing. I tried to upload a short video to show the problem but the forum wouldn't accept it. The problem is on the choke arm where the spring attaches to the shaft and choke bracket. there is a large gap and it is very loose and the bracket cannot align properly.

I also cannot find where the temp sensor gets mounted. I included a picture of the old one and the new one.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

If someone knows how to attach a video, that would also be helpfull.

Attached Files:

vwnate1 likes this.
  2. coilover

coilover Member

Would help if you gave the make, year, and engine. By the electric temp sensor it must be a 1956 or newer and by the carb it is an I6 but what?

3. Al Downs

Al Downs Member

Sorry about that. It is a 1950 1/2 ton with a 216. The carb is a Rochester. It is very possible all the parts are not for my truck as it was all in boxes and there are many extra parts.

vwnate1 likes this.
  4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

? Do you have the inverted breather ? . that clamp is tough to find, it's usually attached to a greasy old discarded breather .

I *think* the clamp works on both types of breathers .

The coolant temperature fitting fits in the rear left hand side of the cylinder head, you're missing a brass bushing , I don't know the part number for it but Weatherhead makes and sells it, maybe a Hot Rod place wil have it or know the part # to order it .

I don't see any issues with the choke linkage on your Rochester 'B' series carby, the cable pinch clamp is supposed to be very loose and wobbly .

5. Al Downs

Al Downs Member

This is way too loose. The forum won't accept a a video. If it did you would see there is something wrong. Looks like it needs a spacer or some sort of a keeper to snug it up.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Maybe Al ;

I remember thinking the same thing in 197? but once everything was hooked up they worked just fine.....

7. Nick

Nick Administrator Staff Member

Sorry for the late reply--I don't have direct video uploads turned on, but you could upload a video to YouTube and then in your post here, click the media.png button in the bar above where you're typing your post, and copy and paste the address to the video from your web browser's address bar into the box that appears (it'll start with https://www.youtube.com/watch or https://youtu.be), and it'll appear in your post.