Classicparts patch panel gauge

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by D0ZX, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Duswill

Duswill Member

You couldn't said it any better. I have 30 plus years experience and I did all of the above.

2. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Cab Welding checking instruction.

Rusty Dog, the sheet you need should be 1.07. Also, additional dimensions are given on sheet 63.02 and 63.03. Also sheet 31.00 and 32.00 shows detail on floor to door pillar welding. Be careful that the sheets you reference in the assm. manual are correct for your model, as many drawings are for larger trucks. The centerline of your cab is a main reference point for cab mounts, hinge bolt holes etc.
    DOZX, I had to pie-cut my inner to outer cowl panel at the top and where the bottom makes the radious to the "rocker", side sill. Did not have to completely tear it apart and re-weld it. I was fairly disappointed with the quality of this part, looks to me like they could do much better. If Dynacorn would release this part separate from their complete door frame, our problems would be solved. They are the manufacturers of the complete cab, assembled by Premier Street Rods and used by Icon, among others.

3. D0ZX

D0ZX Member

The distance from the bottom of the upper hinge opening to the top of the lower hinge opening is 16-3/4".
    If yours is close to this measurement then I would think your floor is too low.

Attached Files:

4. RustyDog

RustyDog Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help. Looks like I will need to do a little homework.
    On the hinge measurement, It had doors on it when I got it, So I would think they are ok. I am wondering if the previous owner might have disconnected the door post where it meets the rocker panel and didn't get it lined back up correctly. Maybe it just moved because the floor was pushed up where the cab mounts are and everything was free floating. I foresee frustration ahead.

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I Forsee

An amazing nice old truck you built with your own two hands when you finish....

Being a Mechanic is dead easy next to body & fender works .

Then there's painting , a whole 'nother thing .

6. RustyDog

RustyDog Member

Thanks Nate. I have thought about paying a professional to do some of it, But I kinda like my money. And besides, the fight is part of the fun.

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Fighting The GOOD Fight !

Correctamundo Sir :) .

It's been over 5o years of it for me and I still love it although the pain is beginning to mess with me .

Please keep us posted , seeing the progress of others both keep folks motivated and shares good ideas and how - to tips .