Deluxe Heater

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by NorCal58, Jan 15, 2009.

1. NorCal58

NorCal58 Member

I'm trying to find out if the heater I have for my truck is the deluxe or not. It was in the bed along with a grip of other spare parts when I picked up the truck some 8 years ago.

I haven't been able to find a picture on the web of what the box of a deluxe heater would look like and how it would differ from any other standard or aftermarket heaters.

Any help would be appreciated. I can try to post pictures of what I do have if that will help.

Thanks,

Chris Locke

2. azcarman411

azcarman411 Member

Pics will help!!

3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Standard heater has no temperature control valve, deluxe heater has one.

Standard heater has a short (3" ?) lever near the air outlet that you move by hand to deflect the airflow to the defroster vents, deluxe heater has a cable operated defroster.

4. NorCal58

NorCal58 Member

OK took some pictures. Here they are...based on what Bill said though I believe I have the standard heater.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      246 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      212.2 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      227.5 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      44 KB
      Views:
  5. jon0249

jon0249 Member

This is definitely the deluxe heater. The standard is a one-piece unit, pic attached.

Attached Files:

6. azcarman411

azcarman411 Member

You have a standard heater like my 59 has. How about some more info on your truck?? Chris

7. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

The standard heater that was in my '57 GMC looked a lot like the one that JON0249 posted, just one piece. Chris' pictures show two pieces, but still don't look like a deluxe heater to me. The flat piece does seem to have a place to connect a control cable.

Maybe this is just a pile of parts thet the previous owner threw into the bed to confuse us?

8. NorCal58

NorCal58 Member

I did at one point have the heater mounted underneath the dash, But it was never connected because I never had the switch, and it wasn't actually needed being in California at the time. I've since moved to Arizona and after years of sitting while I was in college I've started a complete restoration.

The cab is the deluxe cab, which is why I originally assumed it was the deluxe heater. But I don't really see a lot of lever action going on with that box. And in all my forum and google searches I could never find any basic information or pictures on the different styles of heaters.

These parts were both painted (I know it doesn't look like it) to match the interior of the truck, and they do both bolt up in there and attach to the defrost.

9. shankamoto

shankamoto Member

Heater

This is definetly a RECIRC standard heater. The deluxe heater mounts in the engine compartment not under the dash.:)

Gene

10. NorCal58

NorCal58 Member

The entire heating unit mounted in the engine bay? or just the heater core?

11. shankamoto

shankamoto Member

The core mounted inside and the motor and blower in the engine compartment. Your picture shows a single unit, the heater core and blower.

Hope this helps.

gene

12. NorCal58

NorCal58 Member

That helps a lot, I appreciate everyone's posts.

13. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I don't think so on a 55.2-59. Deluxe (aka Fresh Air) heater mounted inside the cab. It had an apparatus that connected to a roughly 4" square hole in the kick panel above and forward of the passenger's side air vent.

14. shankamoto

shankamoto Member

dlx heater

Bill is correct. I looked at the wrong catalog.:confused:
    It is a dlx fresh heater.
    Sorry Gene

15. NorCal58

NorCal58 Member

I don't yet have all the controls for the deluxe heater, and wasn't sure that I wanted to buy them before I confirmed what heater I actually had.

The controls have a few levers/switches and I never was able to see how those tied in to the parts that I had. Unless I am missing something.

I have both the shop manual and the factory assembly manual for my truck, and unfortunately the heaters aren't even mentioned or pictured in either.

I really should hit up a local car show and find someone who has the deluxe heater assembled and working and then check it out from there. I know there is quite a few this weekend at the Barret Jackson auction here in AZ, but they don't ever pop the hood or open the doors up on those cars.

Chris

16. chevymantrucks

chevymantrucks Member

Hey,
    I like the standard heaters better less crap.The deluxe is a pain to put in and will leak sooner or later.The bands are a pain in the ass as well as the cables.Just my 2 cents...:D

Cliff

17. Ryans85

Ryans85 Member

Hey Chris,
    I live in Payson and have a 58 Cameo and a 59 stepside,have you been to grumpys
    north on I17 they could probably help you out with your heater.
    I do have some extra deluxe heater parts if might need something,maybe we could hook up sometime,Payson has a small Car show every saturday night around 6:30 to ?
    in front of the safeway parking lot next to Jack in the box if you ever take your truck on the road look us UP!
    take care and good luck with your truck!
    Allen and Ryan,
    Payson AZ

18. NorCal58

NorCal58 Member

Thanks Allen & Ryan, I will send you a PM about those extra parts.

My truck is a ways off from being on the road again as I just started a frame off restoration this past year. I've been spending a lot of time on it though recently because I'm moving soon and need to get it back to rolling status.

I am aware of Grumpy's, although I have not yet been up there, I do plan on it once I need to start buying parts. I have heard a lot of good things about that place.

19. 58fleetside

58fleetside Member

From your pictures, this looks like a standard heater to me. I have an extra one - I do not know if the core leaks or the motor turns. The deluxe has a fancy 3 knobbed control on the dash while the standard has a single white knob that says "Heater" on it. I have the extra from a '59 3200 I used for parts.

20. Oleblue55

Oleblue55 Member

I have a picture of the deluxe heater in a custom cab 1956 original. I will try and attach it if it helps.

Attached Files: