door adj

Discussion in 'Paint & Body' started by pops, Aug 12, 2008.

1. pops

pops Member

how do i adjust the drivers door so the top moves away from the cab and the bottem closer to the cab:confused:

2. David Hall

David Hall Member

On door hinges they must be in good condition, and can be checked by opening the door half way and trying to lift up and down. Sort of like checking ball joints for wear. If there's any play, the hinge needs to have new pins and bushings installed, or replaced. Alignment is almost impossible if the hinges are worn. The cab side of the hinge moves the door frontwards and backwards. The door side moves the door upwards and downwards. If your trying to move the top in, roll the window down, on the top hinge at the door (not at the cab) loosen all but 1 bolt and leave the last bolt snug but not tight. Slowly shut the door and from the outside pull the door out until satisfied. Open the door slowly as not to move your adjustment and tighten all bolts.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  3. KRK53GMC

KRK53GMC Member

Pops, I would like to know if this process worked, I have the same situation, though I did a major reconstruct to my cab, ie rocker panels, floor, lower front door pillar, etc. etc. I was thinking that maybe I didn't have the door pillar pitched at the correct angle. Did you replace any panels? or just take the door off and now reinstalling?? Thanks Keith

4. pops

pops Member

I'm just reinstalling and haven't tried it yet but hoping that it works.:

5. Czechman

Czechman Member

I just went through the same thing including the full cowl inner and outer on both sides. Not finished with the driver side, but on the pass side I put all my parts in temporarily with sheetmetal screws and then hung the door to test everything. I got lucky and the door fit as well as could be expected. But I did make an error on the floor pan that was quickly corrected by pulling a few screws, correcting and putting in a couple new screws.

Blindly welding all those replacement parts in without test fitting everything is a huge gamble.

This may or may not help:
    [​IMG]