Engine Mounts?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Makin' Memories, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Makin' Memories

Makin' Memories Member

Well, I was driving my truck the other day and all of a sudden a very loud bang come from the engine forcing me to pull over to the side of the road to take a look. Needless to say, the engine backfired, blew up the muffler and later I found out that the fiber timing gear finally gave way :(.

On that note, I have been looking at purchasing a Mustang II front end but have heard mixed reviews that they make engine mounts specifically for the engine that is in the truck. Is this true? or can I replace the engine later on down the road without doing any fabrication myself?

If I fix the 235 engine, is there a rough estimate as to how long that engine will last with a rear differential gear ratio of 373:1? Or should I just replace the ol' 6 cylinder for a V8 right away?

2. coilover

coilover Member

If you are a bit leery of fabrication it might be best to go through the 235. I have never found an MII set up that didn't take some fabrication. The steering and shifter for sure. If it has a 3.73 then it must have an open driveshaft so freshening up the 235 and putting a bolt in Borgwarner overdrive would let it run forever at 70mph.

3. Makin' Memories

Makin' Memories Member

Thanks for the help! At the moment I think I there is a 4.65 in it, I am looking for a 3.73 and of course, overdrive is going to be a must for me to improve mileage and overall performance.

4. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member