Fatman coilover front end

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ol' chebby, Mar 19, 2013.

1. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Take a piece of 1 7/8" exhaust tubing, cut off about 3", drill a hole and weld on a nut for a set bolt...
    [​IMG]

Drill holes for mounting screws..
    [​IMG]

Mount plate to firewall. Mount steering column to dash, let tubing protrude through the plate, then weld to firewall plate. Now grind smooth and paint...
    [​IMG]

2. Wolf

Wolf Member

Awesome work as usual! You make this look so easy. Glad we have people like you that can do this great work.

3. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Been waitin' for this one to resume, looking good. What is your friend going to do with the rear suspension? leaf springs and lowering blocks? The old truck looks pretty good to me- Tell us more about it. Interior, trans., where did he get it?, Looks to have very little rust in the usual places.

4. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

It has a fair amount of rust in the normal places. He bought it from a friend of mine, who did not build it. There was a lot of farm tech on this one. The engine was solid mounted to the frame, the trans. crossmember isn't bolted in, the sheetmetal bed is welded in top and bottom, a trailer tail light panel was welded in. The floor and kick panels are the typical sheetmetal patch. We are reversing the farm tech as we go, next up is a wiring harness. The rear has leaf springs and the upper 4 bar setup from the origional mystery car. The gauges are of mixed and indetermined lineage, simi-functional. We have redone all of the cab rubber and replaced a couple of glasses.

Anyone need a 1/2 ton front end, complete? Probably needs kingpins. Free.

5. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Sounds like we can count on watching this one for a while. That's good, I can look at yours, then go look at mine. Still wish your buddy would go for Fatmans rear 4-bar. I know... maybe since Fatmans is local for you guys, maybe a free kit for you guys to demo for all of us would be in order! Can't hurt to ask...

6. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Is the WMS/WMS dimension the same with the Fatman ifs as stock, original? Do they use a different coilover for a BB chevy? Oh, and, have you ever done one of these with a big-block? If so, what kind of steering linkage/ header problems does that bring with it? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks.

7. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

WMS? I have not done a big block, but the suspension is foreward of center of the block so header dump shouldn't be a problem, header clearance should be managable with the 3 joint steering hookup.

8. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Sorry, wheel mounting surface/ wheel mounting suface. I'm curious because I'd like to stuff a 7" wheel in my big fat fenders. I had 8-inchers (6 bolt) under the front years ago, but the truck was on the stock springs and set pretty high still. Actually, I think I want 17X7" with some of those modern speed rated radials. Once again, sorry to the purest's here, I think I just heard a groaning sound coming thru my fiber-optic line.

9. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I'm running 7" n mine...no problem. Track width is pretty near stock.

10. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Here is a side view of the truck together....
    [​IMG]