Ford Explorer rear end

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Depoebay, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

Have researched a lot of good information on the Ford Explorer rear end swap.
    Currently running a 64 nova 3:23 peg leg. Old school front carrier. (like a ford 9 inch) my understanding is that these are weak when hp and torque are added.
    I am running a 383 stroker at 425hp a beefed up th350 and a 2200 stall converter.

Anybody done this in a 50s AD. truck

2. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Ford 8.8 rears are a popular choice for several swaps. Somewhat less durable than a 9" Ford, but, much cheaper and readily available.
    I think they are most plentiful in 3:73, and less so in 4:11. Be sure to get disc brakes, and look for one with factory trac-loc.
    I swapped one into my Jeep Wrangler a few years ago. Supposed to be a 250-275% increase in strength over a Jeep Dana 35. Mine has taken somewhat of a beating and always brought me home. Mine has Trac-Loc, and the clutches are aggressive enough to make my 12:50, tires, scrub on turns on unpaved roads or trails. Makes a Jeep very scary on snow.

I'm sure Coilover, is the guy with experience with your install idea.

Steve.

3. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

thanks for the reply, The disc brakes are a plus, I would like to keep my wheels and tires. Can the axle flanges be drilled for a chevy bolt pattern?
    Also drive shafts alignment?
    Also how does it compare to a chevy 10 bolt with posi

4. coilover

coilover Member

The Explorer rear is 59 inches wide vs the 61" the AD likes. Since you want to keep your wheels it might take a spacer if the tires rub the outside of the box. One inch spacers are common and cheap; I like steel ones that expand at about the same rate as the other parts but many run the aluminum ones with no problem, just check occasionally. The rotor on the Explorer is also the drum for the emergency brake shoes so the cable runs out the front bottom just like the factory AD does, much better than all the springs and cables of the Versaille, Camaro/ Trans AM Mickey Mouse set up. As Steve said most are 3.73 and most have limited slip but we stuck one in a Mustang without checking and it is an open unit. Naturally all the multi-link/coil over/Panard bar stuff is welded to it. Looks like we get to set up an Explorer rear for the first time. Can't learn any younger. The 9" is stronger but sucks up more HP and Dallas Mustang is running an 8.8 in their 1500hp twin turbo drag car with no problems yet. Don't worry about an offset center section as Ford Vans have run ones with radical offset for millions of miles with just a conventional driveshaft. There is room to drill a 4.75" pattern on the Explorer axle/rotor. You might want some shallower gears with a 350 Turbo trans and plenty are available from in the 2's to the 5's. An OD trans is perfect with the 3.73's.

5. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

Thanks for the help. The disc brake setup and the positraction is what I am after. The engine,transmission and stall converter I copied from a camaro build I did. The camaro had an Eaton 3:73 positraction. Could never get the car to hook up. sure went thru some tires.

Engine build is a 350 stroked to 383 balanced with Keith black internals. Vortecheads with screw in studs and heavier valve Springs. Cam is a270 Isky mega cam. headers Edelbrock performer intake and a Demon carb (thinking of fuel injection) later.

6. coilover

coilover Member

Something terrible wrong with one that won't hook up, although pickups are dicey with enough engine. Camaro's have all the parts over the counter to make them carry the front tires or even wrongly stand on the rear bumper. "Back halving" with an Art Morrison, or my preference, a Chris Alston engineered 4 link or ladder bar will do away with tire smoke. Power is no good if it can't be put to the ground. Had a 520ci 800hp stroked 460 Ford engine in a 64 Falcon that would NOT spin its tires. Was an Alston set up that would twist the body/tube frame (with a 10 point moly roll cage) till the upper right corner of the windshield pulled out of the rubber and you could see daylight. Would leave dark black shadows but no tire smoke. After several launches you were very aware of where every bump, dip, or even wrinkle was in the seat back. Finally quit messing with get you in trouble 1000hp street rides and went with something with real horsepower.

Model A and pull truck 014.jpg

7. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

Wow.. Lots oh juice there. The camaro was fun to drive got squirrely when it hit 2nd. Pulled into a quicky mart one day to get some adult beverages. Guy was looking over the car. Started asking questions. The guy asked if I would like to sell it. I gave him a fat price and a phone number. 2 days later I get a call Says he'll be over in an hour. Cash exchanged hands and never saw the car again. Was planning to do some suspension work but cash talked.

8. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

I forgot to mention, as Evan did, the yoke on a 8.8, is offset, to the right. Not a big deal.
    I think even 3:73's, will be awful gear-bound, with a turbo 350.
    One other thing, the Ford 8.8 comes with a funky flange mount yoke. You can adapt to that, or, purchase a replacement. I bought a super duty, 1350 series yoke from Moser. Care must be taken, however, as you will need to pull the carrier out and install a new crush sleeve.
    I opted to convert mine to a spacer/shim, setup to set the preload.

Steve.

9. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Steve,
    I agree. The tire size on your average Explorer is probably 245/75R16, which gives us a tire diameter of 30.5" (vs the original AD 6.50-16 at 29.3" tall). Most folks run a shorter tire on an AD from what I see out there, which makes the effective gear ratio even steeper. Perhaps something like a 3.42/1 ratio would be better?

10. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

I'm leaning towards 10 bolt I have access to a free one. gear is believed to a 3:43. Have a friend help me put a positraction in it. backing plate to backing plate dimensions work.. just no disc brakes.
    looking at ease of installation costs etc.
    Not trying to shave tenths at the drag strip. If I kick it in the ass .. it goes